Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 310 Cadet (Read 495 times)
J.Francis
Junior Forum Member

310 Cadet
Jul 6th, 2019 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The 310 Cadet and the 8.15x46R both shoot bullets that are .316. I was wondering if anyone ever tried shooting a 165 grain stop ring bullet in a 310 Cadet. Would the 310 twist handle the extra weight and length ? Would bumping up the velocity help matters? What are your thoughts ?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 310 Cadet
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 1:38am
Print Post  
The .310 cadet heeled bullet has a major dia. of .322,  while the heel is .313-316.
At least the bullets I use, from the CBE mould, which are copies of the original bullet.

IP Logged

Barrabruce
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Mine likes a 0.325" and 0.311" heel with home made brass.
The bores can be anything and the chambers very also.
Best advice I can give  which ain’t much is to cast the chamber and make things to fit in it.

The longer bullet I feel you will have trouble getting enough velocity to stabilise in the 1:20 twist rate even if you size it to 0.311" or so and paper patch it to at least groove diameter.

Nice matching brasss cases and a heeled bullet that is a transitional fit in the fired case that seals the throat and engraves the rifling and away you go to heaven.
No sizing brass or bullets ,hand fitted and accurate.
Simple tools and cases last as long as you can avoid mangling them.

I tried 150’s in mine when I had nothing to shoot in it.
I thought I was defying the physics again and it showed promise sometimes to fooling me into it was working.
No I couldn’t get it to work and was starting to rub off some primer indentation on extracting cases where I gave it up.
Their is some sort of stabilising anomaly  around 700 fps or some such but it didn’t happen for me either.

I guess the twist rate programs I played with weren’t gunna allow me to do it.

Now if you reamed it out to 32 special with a full case of medium burning powder you “might” get it to work.
Thou that thin metal butt plate may seem to get sharper on the edges and somewhat harder after the first shot.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2019 at 2:28am by Barrabruce »  

IP Logged

Barrabruce
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
This is at 50 yards the other day with a 120 gns bullet sized to 0.311" bore and patched with printer paper to 325"
50/50 be/vas lube and breachseated as they won’t go into the case.
I use some short 32-20 brass that I adapted to factory length specs but mine seems the be longer
Works fine with a plugged case to lightly seat into the land and fill / seal the throat.

IP Logged

CptCurl
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Barrabruce wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:33pm:
This is at 50 yards the other day with a 120 gns bullet sized to 0.311" bore and patched with printer paper to 325"
50/50 be/vas lube and breachseated as they won’t go into the case.
I use some short 32-20 brass that I adapted to factory length specs but mine seems the be longer
Works fine with a plugged case to lightly seat into the land and fill / seal the throat.

What powder charge do you use?  Great accuracy!  Are you doing this with the standard sights on a Martini Cadet?

Curl

IP Logged

Barrabruce
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:37am
Print Post  
This was with either 3 gns bulleye or 4 grains adi 50n.
I had 10 of each to play with
I had to build up the front sight a bit but couldn’t get any focus with the barley corn sight so I finally filed it to a fine post and put a #7 Parker-Hale on it.
everything else is original.
With the bigger aperture holes I can focus and see a bit finer if I shoot when my eye lines things up  and focuses briefly. Snap shooting.
The other group.
8 in this one somewhere.
I wasted a few finding a POA POI I could see the results.
It’s more me than the rifles fault I believe.
I may have to bury it in the gun safe before I do something to it now I got it to shoot.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:43am by Barrabruce »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint