Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Castor bean oil (Read 2000 times)
Red Cent

Castor bean oil
Jul 20th, 2019 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
My son and I were talking about barrel leading and he told me try some castor bean oil. He is a former motorcycle asphalt racer running a TZ250. Mechanics had told him the castor oil is tenacious and very difficult to remove from the metal.
I did some research and articles told me that the castor is used in motors or other items that are rebuilt frequently thereby getting around the build up.
Then ,lo and behold, I chanced on the LA Sil Shooters site and guess what is in the list of bullet lube ingredients.
Does anyone use castor bean oil to make a lube for their bullets?

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
IP Logged

oldman46

Re: Castor bean oil
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Think castor bean oil is an ingredient in model airplane fuel. As you know those engines have some high rps and if I remember right the oil helps lubricate the moving parts especially the piston and rings. Frank

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Castor oil is one of the ingredients in Charlie Dell's 59C lube and has been used in others also.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Bees Wax, Castor wax, Castor oil, Lanolin oil and Crisco ar the ingredients in my Dapper Dan Lube.
It is an excellent lub for hot days.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Caster bean oil is one of the best, if not thee best lubricator. I ran it in my Maico 400 MX bike, in the early 70's. My brand was Castrol R and in a MX magazine article, they had a test of the popular 2 cycle oils, that included it.
The oil test was done, as I remember, by apply a oil film to a harden, steel plate, then using a stylist (hardened steel rod) and applying a force to it, measuring the drag it created.

The caster bean oil, out did all others, by a big margin! But, in use, it fowled my spark plugs. I didn't care, I love the smell of it and just changed out plugs, each day. Many race cars, used it as a "top oil" in the years before 1970. That's were I first smelled it and why I wanted to use it in my MC Smiley

In Col. Harris's book, Cast Bullets, he tried many lubes (but not castor bean oils) and found that the slicker ingredients, produced less accuracy and for that reason, I never tried it, in my lube experiments.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Brings back memories Frank. Back in those days, I can remember the smell of Klotz running in the two strokes. I'm pretty sure Klotz was also castor oil based.

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
It is also a great case lube!!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
The same castor oil that was used for lubrication in the Le Rhone rotary aircraft engines of WWI, and gave the pilots some rather intense lubricity out of their own "exhaust pipe"?     Grin

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Castor bean oil and a good dash of oil of wintergreen is a very old formula....... 
sst

IP Logged

Old Soldier

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Aren't caster beans used to make some kind of really potent poison?

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

GrumpyBear

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Old Soldier wrote on Jul 28th, 2019 at 11:16pm:
Aren't caster beans used to make some kind of really potent poison?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Indeed, not only are the beans very poisonous, but several writers have used them as murder tools, having the killer mix dark-colored examples in with coffee beans, to be eventually ground-up and their ricin consumed as part of the victim's early-morning wake-up ritual.

HOWEVER, ricin is water- rather than oil-soluble; it does not pass into the oil when the beans are pressed.  So all you castor oil users and advocates can rest easy.

But if you grind them yourself, do always check coffee beans . . . waaa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Another archaic user of bean oil in 2-stroke race bikes here.  Castrol R for a time, but switched to Klotz Techniplate because of the plug-fouling.  Techniplate was only (if I remember right) 15% bean oil; the balance was synthetic.  It kept my Bultaco roadracers winning races when nothing else could.  You had to mix fresh gas each morning, however; bean oil deteriorates quickly in gasoline.  (Learned that the hard way.)   Unused gas at the end of the day was brought home and used in the lawnmower!  Or mixed with more mineral-type for my three-banger SAABs.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 21st, 2019 at 8:01pm:
The same castor oil that was used for lubrication in the Le Rhone rotary aircraft engines of WWI, and gave the pilots some rather intense lubricity out of their own "exhaust pipe"?     Grin

Leading, it is written, to heavy consumption of blackberry brandy as an antidote.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Another use for bean oil, then I'll stop.   We used to lubricate the beads on tires with a bit of Castrol R when installing them.  The oil would temporarily soften the rubber, and after 24 hours the tire would be essentially glued to the rim!  Hell getting them off again, but it weighed nothing, and eliminated heavy rim-locks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint