Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) RCBS Easy Melt Pot (Read 1949 times)
beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: RCBS Easy Melt Pot
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Even the thermometers can be off.
Best to check both the thermometers and the Pot control
readout against melt point of an alloy of known melt point.
E.G. Pure lead. 
Initial checks of thermometers in boiling water can give a clue, but this is not even near the range of our molten alloys and the readings of the thermometers are not necessarily linear
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I found the precise temp to be irrelevant.  As long as it is consistent and maintains a reasonable differential in the cycle, the bullets will not move around the target due to casting temp variations..  Last spring this was discussed and I check the Promelt against my old Lyman.  I believe the Promelt's electronic control held about a 10 degree tighter differential than my Lyman's mechanical t'stat. 

The reason I bought the Promelt was because I got curious about PID control.  Midway's discount and free shipping plus RCBS rebate made the Promelt cost about the same as the PID parts.  Being lazy  Grin I took the easy way out.  Was it worth the effort?  Not really. The Lyman is more durable and the bullet weight differential has not changed, but curiosity was satisfied.  Roll Eyes  If I were buying a new pot today I would buy the electronic model.  Everything is being cheapened, so I would be skeptical of the quality of the mechanical stats and their  cycle differentials without conformation.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
What worked with my PID controller on a Lee Magnum pot and type K TC was to figure out what temp worked best with each mold and post that at my casting bench. I'll likely do the same this time. Again, for me, am interested in the results rather than the actual temp. When I compared my previous set-up between the controller display and RCBS immersion thermometer there was a difference of ~40F. Not sure which is/was more accurate.

Glenn

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 2:59am
Print Post  
I found the same with my Lyman thermometer. Can't remember exactly, but about 50  degrees off.

Back when I was casting LR, Midrange and Schutezen bullets, I had different temps for the pot as well as for the molds. Mold temp was always between 400 and 450 as I recall.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I would worry more about the thermometer being off. They are not normally very precise. as mentioned repeat-ability and finding the temp for the mold are really what works. I have molds that work much better with using my PID. And I think my percent of good bullets is better. JMO

IP Logged

GrumpyBear

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Jul 25th, 2019 at 11:25am:
I would worry more about the thermometer being off. They are not normally very precise. as mentioned repeat-ability and finding the temp for the mold are really what works. I have molds that work much better with using my PID. And I think my percent of good bullets is better. JMO†

Ditto here !

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
With PID control can usually cast about 125 bullets with a good, stable temp. That results in a nice distribution (I sort into 0.5gr lots) with ~75% in one lot, 15% in the next and the balance in a lot on either side of the two main lots. Without the PID control I find myself always dicking around with the rheostat knob and whatever. The PID control makes my casting life much simpler. Fire up the pot. Give it a good stir when it makes temp, wait 15-20 minutes to insure the mold is up to temp (on the edge of the pot) and start casting. For me it is a chore. So want it done as simply and quickly as possible. I'd rather mow the lawn.

EDIT: Easy Melt arrived in good shape. As soon as the lead arrives from BACo I'll get started. In the meantime I'll get out the drill & hammer and go to work on this bad-boy to make it into 'mine'.  Angry
Just kidding, of course. So much easier than wiring up a system from eBay parts and pretty much the same price ($124). Thanks to all (even Mick  Smiley) for their input.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2019 at 6:24pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Simple fix to elaying shut off! Just get a timer off switch. We used them in the old tube radio days an Iím sure thier availible.
Just set timer off one hour and go shoot.
Hope that helps!
SST

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Here you go
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Easy piecey ! Itís just that simple!
Later
Tom

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Oooohhhh just remember those prices are Canadian!! We are run by a Liberal Government!
Youíll probably find it for 1/2 or less.
Tom

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

These are really good and easy to set up!
Tom

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
My RCBS can take 2-3 hours (it seems) to cool down low enough to safely turn it off according to the instructions. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 6:29am
Print Post  
You can get a switch that will delay 4 hours, I use one on one of my coolers.
Itís great in case a person forgets to go check later on.
Tom

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Fired up the new to me Easy Melt. Bit of stink & light smoke as it came up to temp. Added 17# of pure lead and let it melt, followed by 13 oz of tin. Gave it a good stir and all looks great. Am pleasantly impressed. Think I'm going to like that it is a 25# pot. Start casting as soon as I get back in town. Life is good...........† Smiley

Almost forgot. The PID reads 775 and the RCBS immersion thermometer reads 720. That's even lower than my previous PID set-up where the difference was more like 40-45 low on the thermometer. As said, I'll simply note what temp each mold works well at and go with that. Who cares what the actual temp is.

And, ordered an 80mm muffing fan for $10.99 that I'll use to cool everything when I'm thru casting so don't have to wait for the system to cool down. Will plug into a $10 timer and be good to go.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2019 at 5:31pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
My Easy Melt will read 850 when the Lyman thermometer reads 800 so yours is not the only one that does that, as you said, it doesn't really matter as long as you can get to the temperature that your mold likes.
Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint