Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) powder coated bullets. (Read 765 times)
john d
Junior Forum Member

powder coated bullets.
Jul 24th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I always come back to this forum as THE fount of knowledge and have always been rewarded with constructive and useful comments.

My next question is, has anyone had any involvement with 'powder coated bullets'

Not so much the 'mechanics' of powder coating as their use and usefulness.

There is a wealth of information, not all of it in agreement, as to how to powder coat, but i am interested in how the result performs in our rifles.

i.e. does it reduce 'leading,' do powder coated bullets shoot more accurately than lubed lead equivalents and so on.

I realise there may be issues with the 'ethics' of using such a non traditional method as using powder coated as opposed to lubed lead rounds but as a novice exploring all the variables of  shooting my 45/70 I am interested in hearing the views of those who know   about these things..

I do shoot smokeless AND black powder in my rifle and  am wide open to opinions of all shades.

Many thanks

John D  (UK).

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: powder coated bullets.
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Two things are relevant here:

1. The ASSRA as demean powder coated bullets, to be in the same category as jacketed bullets and there fore, can not be used in ASSRA matches.

2. I do not know of any people using them in any sanctioned matches, even CBA. If they had merit, at this time, they would have showed up, by now.

Maybe later? But, not now.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
If your barrel is leading there are other things to consider first but we will need more data about what you are shooting.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Action Pistol shooters in our area use them with great luck. saw something I believe in the CBA fouling shot talking about methods for applying the coating and what worked.

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Powder coating does a couple things really well, and a couple not so.

It basically replaces lube and seals the bullet completely.

Because of the lube qualities you can use bullets without grooves.

The covering or jacketing qualities tends to allow higher velocity without gas checks, most indoor ranges here consider coated bullets safe for indoor use, no lead vapors.

It also almost completely keeps suppressors from leading up.

The down side is bullet balance and stability. I have seen a few that had big enough blobs on them that they probably flew better in a smooth bore than spun.

For me they are great for just about anything but precision shooting.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
after seeing a few guys use them at the local range, the only powder getting near my bullets is gunpowder.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 1:38am
Print Post  
John,
I tried powder coating and went without the lube, as mentioned previously I struggled getting the coating on evenly and accuracy suffered, leading WAS minimal.  The rifle I tried them in was really dealing me fits with leading issues - all types of lubes, lead alloys, and powders.  I experimented with an epoxy coating following this, spraying the bullets and then doing an oven bake, the leading issue reared it's ugly head again.  Out of desperation I lubed the bullets on top of the epoxy coating and all my issues improved - what a process.  Following this process I decided to try paper patching and everything got better!  After shooting about 5000 PP bullets I accidentally grabbed the wrong box of ammo on a trip to my range, I proceeded to shoot this ammo half expecting to scrub lead from this barrel when I returned to the shop, surprise! there was no leading issues and the accuracy of the simple grease groove bullet matched what I  found in the PP bullet.   My guess is I tried enough different things and sent enough rounds through this barrel that one of the processes polished out the problem I had? I've shot nearly 1000 rounds of GG bullets now, original loads with very positive results. Little bit of a head scratcher. 
I enjoy experimenting, but I really like to keep the reloading process simple if loading and shooting a lot.  Coating, baking, paper patching, even lube sizing involves considerable time.  Pan lubing with a couple of home remedies mentioned here has changed a lot of things for me.  I use this method first in most of the builds I doing currently.
A little more than my two cents worth...
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
I shoot powder coated bullets in some of my revolvers and semi-auto pistols, but I have only tried them once in one of my old time rifles so far.  (And in all honesty that is just from lack of time and energy, not because I didn't want to test the idea further.)  The vintage rifle that I test fired some powder coated bullets in was an old Danish 1867 Model military rolling block.  I was using the Lee 405 HB .45-70 bullet and simply wanted to increase the diameter of them to suit the large bore size of my Danish rifle without having to go to a harder lead alloy.  Although it wasn't shooting anywhere near the sights the results on target were fairly spectacular to say the least!  A beautiful 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yards with the coarse military open sights.  This definitely merits some further testing and I do plan to powder coat some more of the same Lee 405 HB bullets sometime in the future and repeat the experiment.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Do thst for ten shots and the rush for powder coating will be forthcoming.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I powder coat for rifle and pistol. If done right bullets do not have clumps or irregularities.

I use a vibertating tumbler with black airsoft BB's. I get very uniformed coating.

I have good accurracy but there are issues. It adds size to the bullet. A bore rider will usually not fit in the throat. PC is proven and works. You may not be able to use the best molds in a factory throat.

I had a delima nrecently. I'm rebarrelling a Hepburn to 30/30 and need to order a throat reamer. I almost ordered the reamer for a PC bullet. I just could not do it.

I will be ordering a throat reamer for my Ruger No. 1 in 30-30 for A 311299 mold with PC bullets.

You should have no issues with the 45/70.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I remember when Moly was popular until word got around you couldn't get it out of the bore when accuracy started falling off from it's use.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
That was certainly true about moly; raises the ugly thought in my head as to whether it might also be true of the various powder coatings.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint