Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard extractor cut (Read 1413 times)
KFW
Senior Forum Member

Ballard extractor cut
Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Looking for anyone here who has a developed a method to make the angled cut on the barrel breech end for the pivoting extractor. I am doing another one right now (my 4th) and have used my mill to rough, die sinker chisels, and needle files.....always a tedious endeavor with a hundred test fits.  Is there a cutting tool I am not imagining that can do this? The 50 degree angled corner is so hard to cleanly achieve.
thanks
kw

IP Logged

n.r.davis

Re: Ballard extractor cut
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Don't know about the Ballard but this is an idea.  I need to cut a partial groove in the end of my barrel for the Canoe Paddle I got recently.  Going to hold the barrel with the 4 Jaw and steady rest in the Lathe.  I have a Tool Holder that my Foredom Tool fits and I will use a Carbide Burr to make the cut while turning the barrel by hand with stops set up.  Guess I could also make a holder for the Mill, sort of like a Poor Man's Right Angle Attachment.  Good luck!

David

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
If it is the cut on the face of the barrel breech, think I used a small Woodruff cutter. Careful not to hit the far side of the chamber.
The Harry Eales method will also work using the mill as a manual vertical shaper. Cutter made from a lathe cutoff blade.
Use a piece of leather in the vice jaws to rotate an octagon barrel.
Chuck

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Remember the Ballard (Pacific style) cut has 2 angles that intersect in a sharp corner(s)on breech face, and its this corner that causes me the grief. I want a nice clean "trench" that is not oversize. A woodruff cutter or small endmills cannot do the corner......at least the way i am trying to do it. Still wondering how they did it in a production mode. The die sinker chisels is what I am using to clean out the corner.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
This is a Stevens but, I do the Ballard, the same way, indexed with the side flat and at a angle, approximating the original cut.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I am not real clear on exactly what you asking but might this type of Bridgeport attachment somehow help you out. If so I have seen them for sale on eBay from time to time and it does allow you to get into real tight corners.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Frnkore are those the finished cut threads for a Stevens in the picture that you posted. If so what for a 44 a 441/2 or possibly something other than. They seem to differ quit a bit from the CPA's I have cut and one of them pictured below. The same holds true for the only threads I have cut for an original 441/2 and for some reason something just does not look appear to be the same.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I guess that because your experience in single shots is limited.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:04am
Print Post  
guys we are off track here......I want info on cutting the hockey stick shape extractor mortise. if you have the  Ballard machinists drawings you will see the angled cut.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I think you are doing it about the only way to get it done. You can mill the vertical slot close but not the connecting slot. I have hand filed and chiseled them myself with lots of try fittings. Sorry, no help on commiseration. Maybe Steve Durren will chime in here as he has probably done more than any of us.

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Deadeye.......now we are on the same page! Yes tedious hand work and the mill only for roughing out the cut? Still looking for the magical short cut  if there is one.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:16am
Print Post  
KW,
From what I have seen working on Ballards, they never had a mass production line, especially with Pacific's and that class.  I'm making and fitting some new breech blocks on some of my old clunkers and haven't run into two that are close.  Cody did a little better I believe on their interchange but there's folks on here that can agree or dispute that...  So... welcome to the club, this will teach you patience and finesse.   Smiley
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I apologize for getting off track I was just curious what the barrel was for. I haven't come across any Stevens having threads cut quite like that. I will try to find a drawing for a Ballard to help me try to understand. I would like to know how it's done myself should one end up in my hands. By chance does anyone have a picture of the extractor and the cut being discussed that they might be able to share with us here.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2019 at 12:19pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Were the two piece extractor's only used on 22 rimfires or were they also used on centerfires. Is so would the extractor cuts for the two piece be an easier approach for one to use.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 1:36pm:
Were the two piece extractor's only used on 22 rimfires or were they also used on centerfires. Is so would the extractor cuts for the two piece be an easier approach for one to use.

Two piece extractors were only on the #3 variations in .22RF. But even if that cut worked better, the process for drilling a parallel round hole in the barrel makes that 2 piece even harder to do!

From what I've been told it's much easier to rough cut the extractor cut, and then just hand file the final fit. Pretty sure that's what Marlin employees did, as there are lots of hand fitted parts on a Marlin Ballard.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint