Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic JG Anschutz "Stalking Rifle" -- Model Name/Number? (Read 330 times)
Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

JG Anschutz "Stalking Rifle" -- Model Name/Number?
Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I've recently acquired this single-shot German "Stalking Rifle" of falling block configuration (similar to a High Wall) chambered in the very accurate 8.15x46R Schuetzen/Target round once popular in Germany.  While I have not ID'd the exact model yet, one of the images clearly shows the "J G Anschutz" marking that was in use after the turn of the century, so it comes from a great maker.

It has the Nitro proofs and BUG marks, but the date of the proof was removed when a hanger to better fit the forearm to the barrel was added many years ago.  I can see "127" which I believe is the proof ledger number.  It has a 30.125" barrel with set triggers and a tang safety, and the barrel flat is marked "Fr. Oberbigler Neuotting" which I believe was the original owner's name.

This is my third old German gun picked up over the last couple of years, and I am really enjoying them.  I need to get it out to the range soon, but it cleaned up really well and I also just completed a repair to the safety (adding a new spring/slider under the tang that locks it in/out of safe).  If it shoots as well as I hope it does, I'm now thinking of using this from my tree stand this fall.  It would be terrific to harvest a deer with it and qualify for a "St. Hubertus" award from the GGCA.

Does anyone have any idea of this Anschutz's action name or number, and am I correct with my assumption about the name on the barrel flat?  (I could not find any gunmakers named "Oberbigler"...  But Neuotting is a town in Bavaria.)

Waidmannsheil!

Old No7

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Re: JG Anschutz "Stalking Rifle" -- Model Name/Number?
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I'm only an admirer of German-made single shots, but I'd guess that Anschutz made the action but Fr. Oberbigler Neuotting names the builder of the rifle rather than the original owner.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bill.

I had not been able to find that info on him as being a gunsmith despite several attempts.

Ironically, it was sold as "Maker's Name Unknown" -- which I'm quite sure lowered the sell price -- and the seller didn't find his info either, or even notice the "J G A" Anschutz logo on the receiver.

Good for me though.

Cheers.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Stalking Rifle they have a Charm all their own.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
What you have is a "Nimrod" action. Tom Rowe's book lists it as very rare and maker unknown.
There were a lot of gunsmiths in the Anschutz family. You may have solved a puzzle if your Anschutz made the action.
Here's mine.
Fred

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I should have shown the left hand side of the action, so that you can see the raised section around the falling block.
Fred

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks Fred!

Dang, I HAVE those Tom Rowe books too -- and while I thought I'd checked every page, I obviously missed the pages on a "Nimrod" action.

Yours is a beauty too!

Tight groups.

Old No7

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
One other thought.  Since Neuotting is in Bavaria, you might very well learn what you want by contacting our Bavarian Schuetzen expert, Biggi, whose handle here is feuerbixler.  She also has her own website, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); but I warn you, it's auf Deutsch.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oldreno

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:31am
Print Post  
check with the German Gun Collectors. Good mine of information there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint