Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) First Time Inletting a Stock (Read 1318 times)
Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

First Time Inletting a Stock
Sep 15th, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I would like to change your original stock on my Winchester Miroku 1885 low wall to one with a straight shotgun butt and pistol grip. Since this is my first attempt at inletting a stock, Iím looking for a list of the tools Iíll need and resources (books and articles) to get me comfortable with the task. 
Also, has anyone dealt with Macon Stock Company?  They sell a replacement stock for $85 that has a pistol grip and shot gun butt.  The low price has me wondering above the quality (their price is significantly lower than the next lowest stock maker). Thanks, Dr.J

IP Logged

n.r.davis

Re: First Time Inletting a Stock
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:23am
Print Post  
First tools would be a Sharp Pencil, a Piece of Paper and a piece of Scrap Walnut.  Reason being that you can work out the process on paper by making little sketches showing which cuts to make.  Scrap walnut because you are going to make mistakes and rather than spending so much time fussing about just jump right in and have at it.  The Scrap of Walnut is just to practice the inletting on so it doesn't need to be much bigger than the Wrist Area.  You can do this!!!  David

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:53am
Print Post  
indeed, as N.R. said, start out with a practice piece of wood.
In years past, I have started out with a "tryout" piece
of 2x8 or 2x10( with another 1x8 glued on for added thickness if needed) to carve out a prototype stock and get practice for cheap in the carving.
In one case, my pine prototype was then used as a pattern
for a stock carver to make the actual stock out of walnut.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I'd assume that if you're buying a semi inletted stock, then it will be 90% inletted already, so the need to practice from scratch isn't a necessary step, unless you just wanted to play with that on scrap wood. And if you did, all you'd need is enough wood to fit the tangs, so you can learn the hardest step in the process.
I use a set of high quality chisels for most of my stock fitting. But also have scrapers I built from good quality junk screwdrivers and chisels. They need to be 90 degree, and various widths for getting into tight tang areas.
Some lamp black or other dye for blackening the tangs is also a must. Need to blacken the tangs and push the tangs into the stock to see where it is too tight. Then slowly scrape and test fit until the stock seats up against the receiver.
Don't remove any wood on the exterior until the stock fits tight to the receiver fort. Then begin removing excess wood everywhere else. But leave it plenty high for final sanding, and finishing.
A stock that's too high to the metal, or too low to metal is a sign of an amateur installation. So try to get it as close to even, without going too far.

Never dealt with Macon, but I'd guess that the wood is pretty plain walnut for the price. But that might be OK if the gun is a plain model too? It also might be a good thing to start out with plain wood that's inexpensive so you wont† do your first stock on an expensive set. Less to lose if things go sideways.
I went to their site and looked around, as I'm always interested in options. They seem to have a lot of good reviews from customers, if that means anything to you?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They also have a couple sections to help people starting out fitting their stocks, so might read that also.

IP Logged

Crown-C

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Some time back, ssdave, did an excellent tutorial on stockmaking. I did a quick search but didnít find it. Maybe Dave will chime in and may know where in the archives it may be lurking. This may have been several years ago.

Richard

Richard

Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Dr.J, one of the major issues is learning how to keep your Chisels SHARP!
What most of us thinks of as Sharp is not good enough for what we want to
accomplish. Take's awhile to learn how. Most of the best sharpening is with Stones.be real CAREFULL using a grinding wheel. It does not take much heat to Anneal the fine edge and if you do Anneal the blade it will NOT hold a good edge, FITZ, OLD TUCK. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

KFW

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
really good inletting requires PATIENCE, more than anything else. stay inside your lines and creep up on the perfect fit with the few small chisels/scrapers are one needs. you need some transfer black like Jerods or candle soot/lamp black. its slow and tedious work to avoid the amateur-ish look.

IP Logged

Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Dr.J

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Crown-C wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:49am:
Some time back, ssdave, did an excellent tutorial on stockmaking. I did a quick search but didnít find it. Maybe Dave will chime in and may know where in the archives it may be lurking. This may have been several years ago.

Richard†

Here's the link:

Unfortunately, Photobucket, where I hosted the photo's, is becoming even more disfunctional, so the photo's are worthless.  I do have the photo's on my computer, so if I find a new host I might update.

Would it be useful to the group to have me rework the post?  I could add in stuff from how to inlet and shape and sand and fit also, from another tutorial I did.  Or, should I just let it die with Photobucket's implosion?

IP Logged

weneedtoo

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
O please don't let it die! That is a wonderful read. I am sure lots of folks will love to see it updated if you can. Sure it is a lot of work but THANKS so much.

Richard

IP Logged

Flatlander
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Yes please and make it a sticky.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Dr.J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I would greatly appreciate your revising your tutorial/post.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Might give Imgur a try Dave. Easier than PB was, and free, like PB used to be!
I'd like to see your tutorial renewed!

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Dave,
My vote is to refresh your post, I use your techniques and appreciate your contributions.
Thanks,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"† T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"† G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 3:23am
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 1:13pm:
Dr.J, one of the major issues is learning how to keep your Chisels SHARP!
What most of us thinks of as Sharp is not good enough for what we want to
accomplish. Take's awhile to learn how. Most of the best sharpening is with Stones.be real CAREFULL using a grinding wheel. It does not take much heat to Anneal the fine edge and if you do Anneal the blade it will NOT hold a good edge, FITZ, OLD TUCK. Roll Eyes

I'll 2nd that!  Grinding wheels are for roughing out a chisel's shape.  Sharpening is with stones and a strop.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint