Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Manual Case trim recomendation (Read 773 times)
KFW

Manual Case trim recomendation
Sep 21st, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I have finally wore out my Lyman universal rotary trimmer. It lasted 30 yrs, but never really liked the looseness of the arbor in its bronze bushing. It had a habit of moving when you retracted the shaft throwing off the cut length. So what is a better manual replacement for the long and big 40-45 cal BPCR cases up to 3 1/4" long? Also I liked the fact I could machine any pilot size I needed for the Lyman.
thanks
kw

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Re: Manual Case trim recomendation
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
the Wilson is still state of the art, although rather slow. The Forster is very good and somewhat faster, and can be set up on a drill press to increase speed even more. Forster makes an adapter to use on a drill press. Speed is not my concern for my interests.   With the wilson, you can, with a little practice, move things along fast enough for me. If your thing is slaughtering Prairie Dogs, then a Giraud might be of interest to you, but rather expensive. I still have and used all three, but for pure accuracy work prefer the Wilson. One man's opinion. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I have a Lyman, Forster and Wilson. My Lyman is perfectly fine, but I haven't used it for quite a while. I you look at the Forster, their "Classic" model might be what you would need. Forster has an application chart on their website for the rim collet you'd need, and turning their pilots would probably be similar to making one for a Lyman. The Forster is a solid tool and someone might just get a set of collets. Then again, someone might turn a shop made Wilson style shell holder and be setup pretty well. Best of luck with it.

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 12:15am
Print Post  
I have Wilson, Lee,Forster. When I want to trim down my dwindling supply pf LC match cases that is what I use. Forster doesn't get much use these days. And the Lee cutter and lock stud setup can be used for just about any common caliber. I usually trim my 30-30 cases slightly below the minimum due to the non existent throat and still have part of the case bullet extending out of the case neck. I buy extra studs and compare lengths and shorten them in my lathe useing stones or silicon carbide paper. The lock stud fits into a variable speed drill I usually set at low speed. But as I said earlier for precision the Wilson is the way to go for precision. And don't forget, they make the case holder for new or fired cases at least they used to. Frank

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 12:36am
Print Post  
The only one I've ever used is the Forster so I can't judge the others. I've never seen any reason to change. The Forster requires a factory change to the body to take a 45-70 size collet or at least mine did. It's just a matter of boring out the body a little to fit the collet. I did it myself on my lathe.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  
My Forster does what I need it to do.

IP Logged

KFW

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Looked at the Wilson and Forster spec's, I cannot determine which would be the least pain to get set up for trimming the big cases? Can they even trim say a 50-90 sharps case if needed? No one has recommended the RCBS.....must be a reason too.
kw

IP Logged

marcusp323

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I use a few Forsters for most of my cases, & a Hornady for my 45-70 cause the cutter diameter is a bit larger. Not sure whether it would do 50 cal, never had a reason to check.............yet
Mark

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Both Wilson and Forster make larger tools to handle cases up to 50BMG. Because Wison uses case holders, you are some what limited, as to cartridges it will handle. As an example, for 38-55, you would use a 30-30 case holder, but not capable of some of the larger black powder cases, unless you have a lathe and chamber reamer to open an exising holder or make one. If you plan on turning a very wide variety of cases, the Forster would serve your needs best, as you would only need caliber specific pilots to trim any case of that caliber, as it acts like a lathe turning on centers as opposed to the Wison that works like a lathe using cartridge specific collets. In this aspect the Forster is still very accurate and more versatile. Others, such as RCBS use a similar design, but I have not used the others, so can't comment. Your Lyman collet head I use to hold cases for outside neck turning, and it works quite well. KRAG

rkba2nd

IP Logged

KFW

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd
thanks, you pretty much addressed my concerns. The Wilson is out and the Forster is looking better. I have a lathe but don't have a chamber reamer for every cartridge I plan on trimming, i don't mind making case pilots, but reamed case specific holders no.
thanks
kw

IP Logged

semtav
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Never used a Forester so I can't compare the two, but the Wilson trims all my big cases fine. Just have to buy case specific dies.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
KFW wrote on Sep 22nd, 2019 at 2:54pm:
....I have a lathe but don't have a chamber reamer for every cartridge I plan on trimming, i don't mind making case pilots, but reamed case specific holders no.....

I think you're in good shape with the Forster. If you ever revisit the Wilson, the interior of the holder is a simple taper, not a full chamber.  There's just a little friction grip in the main body area of a case, nowhere near the rim or neck.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
The Hornady works great for me trimming various cases including .40-65, .45-70, .45-90, etc.  I've never used a Foster but I believe both work on the same principal.

Wayne

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 12:52am
Print Post  
CraigD  yes it is a simple taper, but in order to make a caseholder that will work properly, you would have to ream the exact taper in the right diameter steel rod, or pay for a smaller caseholder and ream that to the proper taper, you would also have to know what the proper taper is, and have a lathe to do the work. a lot of work and or expense you can eliminate with the Forster. The only  thing you may need to do with the Forster is open up one of the collets to the rim diameter needed to hold the case. I personaly have not run into that scenario. You might be able to send a case to Wilson, and have them ream a special caseholder, or match up to an existing one that will work properly. Rightfully, that work, if they will do it, will be an added expense. Caseholders, I believe run around 15-20 dollars. Good enough reason alone to go with the Forster, in my opinion. Best regards KRAG

rkba2nd

IP Logged

KFW

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 8:42am
Print Post  
A Rcbs trimmer must not be very impressive due to the lack of a comment(s)? Is it lacking in some way?.
kw

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint