Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hunting with 50-70 on Deer (Read 2707 times)
Savagebrother

Re: Hunting with 50-70 on Deer
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
since starting hunting with my Springfield sporting rifle 45/70 i dont shoot small whitetails thru the lung only area. i swing forward on to the shoulder you want to see a blood trail walk down and roll it over!! when big lead bullets hit bone they shatter and everything that's in between well its mush.  you don't tear up that much meat either and no tracking  Smiley big slow bullets dont have that explosive entrance hydroshock like the modern stuff.  read a lot of letters and stories of the hunters during the time of these rifles. the shoulder shot seemed to  be used the most.  especially the buffalo hunters, they would single out a lead bull and bust his shoulders so he couldn't run away and so his harem wouldnt run away either. just my way of hunting too.
SB
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I have killed eight deer with a 50 - 70
Remington rolling block and none of them dropped in their tracks and none of them went over a hundred yards . All were either heart lung shots or front shoulder shots to break them down, if you don't mind ruining a little shoulder meat, they don't go far with that shot.
Lee Gibbs pres ASSRA

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I suspect that unless one does nerve damage a deer retains enough oxygen to go about a 100 yds. But smashing the shoulder bones on the way thru can't but help limit the travel of the animal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint