Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hunting with 50-70 on Deer (Read 1132 times)
RoyB
Oldtimer

Re: Hunting with 50-70 on Deer
Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
". A bullet that travels completely through an animal is just not the proper bullet to use for the game being pursued."....totally agree. That is why I'm looking for advise on the proper bullet. Going to try hollow pointing them this year.

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Of course, a bullet that merely creates a surface wound is doing no one good. A bullet that cannot deliver hydrostatic shock isn't going to expend its energy in an animal unless it hits bone. Barring hitting bone, it better be punching holes in as much of the animal as it can. The 2 deer that I shot with a 45 ML using a Lee target minie suffered a very clean 45 caliber hole through skin, lung, heart, lung, and skin.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Oct 10th, 2019 at 4:45pm:
Shooting that Doe at only roughly 17 yards is what probably caused your concerns for the lack of your bullets performance. Any bullet no matter what the distance may be or the type used that travels completely through an animal simply expends all of its energy and shock value to whatever finaly stops its travel and not the animal itself. A bullet that travels completely through an animal is just not the proper bullet to use for the game being pursued.

Cannot agree, at all!! I WANT bullets I use on game to make a nice exit hole, AFTER having done deadly damage from the time that bullet entered until it exited. It is that damage inside the animal that kills it. A nice blood letting exit hole adds extra value of a good blood trail, which hopefully will lead to the dead critter some few meters to 100 or so meters away from where it was shot. In dense cover that blood trail can be the insurance for finding that critter. Entrance holes seldom provide as good blood trail, leading from where critter was shot to where it quits running, as do exit holes.

SKG

IP Logged

Savagebrother

Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
since starting hunting with my Springfield sporting rifle 45/70 i dont shoot small whitetails thru the lung only area. i swing forward on to the shoulder you want to see a blood trail walk down and roll it over!! when big lead bullets hit bone they shatter and everything that's in between well its mush.  you don't tear up that much meat either and no tracking  Smiley big slow bullets dont have that explosive entrance hydroshock like the modern stuff.  read a lot of letters and stories of the hunters during the time of these rifles. the shoulder shot seemed to  be used the most.  especially the buffalo hunters, they would single out a lead bull and bust his shoulders so he couldn't run away and so his harem wouldnt run away either. just my way of hunting too.
SB
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #19 - Nov 7th, 2019 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I have killed eight deer with a 50 - 70
Remington rolling block and none of them dropped in their tracks and none of them went over a hundred yards . All were either heart lung shots or front shoulder shots to break them down, if you don't mind ruining a little shoulder meat, they don't go far with that shot.
Lee Gibbs pres ASSRA

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I suspect that unless one does nerve damage a deer retains enough oxygen to go about a 100 yds. But smashing the shoulder bones on the way thru can't but help limit the travel of the animal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint