Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .45-70 "light?" (Read 332 times)
Just Jim
Junior Forum Member

.45-70 "light?"
Oct 9th, 2019 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Hello all-

I'm in the middle of a move, and it will be some months before I can even begin to put my shop back in order, so I'm reduced to plotting and planning for future projects.

One thing I'm anxious to do is to put some old, mostly ruined Maynard barrels back into service both by relining, and by threading new barrel stock into old barrel "stubs."

I need to keep costs to a minimum, so I have been looking at the offerings from Green Mountain. There do not seem to be any low cost .40 blanks, but .45 blanks are readily available.

I know Massachusetts Arms chambered the .45-70, but I'm a little reluctant to do so, as I worry that someday some future owner (perhaps one of my little nephews) may unwisely use high-pressure smokeless loads. So I thought to use a shortened .45-70 case, and looking at the options, I've begun thinking of the .45-60 WCF.

Anyone here using this cartridge in a single shot? Chamber reamer and dies are readily available, brass easily made, and I already have some good molds in the 300 to 405-grain range. One mold I don't have, but would like to try for this application is the old Gould 330-grain HP. It's thickly wooded where I'm going, so all I need is good accuracy with black powder out to 150-yards or so.

Any merit to this idea? Thanks in advance for any opinions...   Jim

(gratuitous Maynard photo...)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) by (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), on Flickr

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2019 at 2:53pm by Just Jim »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .45-70 "light?"
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
If I ever go to a light 40cal it will be the 40-60WCF. So much easier to make the brass from readily available 45-70 or 40-65 then try to find 303 or 30-40 brass (which is in an 'available phase' after a few years of none) for the 40-50SS. Also, it is a good middle ground between the 40-50SS and the 40-65 or 40-70. Somehow, I don't think I could ever get the load for a 45cal Maynard down to a place I would enjoy shooting it. The 40-60WCF would be good for BPCR should you every feel the need to do so.

Glenn

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
On a Maynard there is no counterbore for the rim of the cartridge so you can just short chamber with a 45/70 reamer down to about a 1 3/4" case length and still use standard 45/70 loading dies. You can shorten the dies if needed to load the cartridges. This keeps it simple. I've done two with 1.8" cartridge length to comply with some of the states that have rules that allow straight walled cases not over 1.8" long.

I've got a Snider action that I want to build a gun on someday and with a 45/70 cartridge I think I'll need to shorten it quite a bit.

IP Logged

Just Jim
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
John-

As usual, you are the bearer of good ideas! Given the slight taper of the .45-70 case, I wouldn't have bet that the reamer would open up the breech end of the chamber sufficiently if run in short.

Thank you as always sir!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint