Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Peabody: rimfire / centerfire (Read 292 times)
Hombre
Junior Forum Member

Peabody: rimfire / centerfire
Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Peabody hammer nose comparison:
1. rimfire hammer nose width is .404 (on left in picture)
2. centerfire hammer nose width is .364 (on right in picture)

If you put a centerfire block in a .50-60 Peabody rimfire actiion, the rimfire hammer nose will not contact the firing pin, it will hit/contact the block = it won't contact the firing pin. See picture of a rimfire hammer contacting the edge of a centerfire block, this in a .50-60 Peabody rimfire carbine.

In general you have 3 options when using centerfire ammunition in a .50-60 rimfire Peabody:
1. convert the rimfire block to centerfire
2. install a centerfire block in the .50 rimfire carbine
2a. if you use the rimfire hammer you need to offest it with a flat washer under the hammer to move it sideways, in order to clear the centerfire block.
2b. or change the centerfire hammer onto the rimfire lock
3. a simpler method, exchange the centerfire lock onto the rimfire carbine - no need to change hammers. You will have proper firing pin contact this way. See picture of centerfire block (from a .43 Spanish Peabody) using the centerfirle hammer from the same .43 Spanish Peabody.

Centerfire ammunition in a .50-60 Peabody rimfire carbine:
1. use Starline .56-50 brass. Yes, it is shorter than the .50-60 Peabody case. .56-50 Peabody case length = 1.456  .56-50 Spencer case length = 1.156  The same concept as shooting a .38 Spcl in a .357 mag chamber.
2. trim .50-70 Gov't brass (actually .50 1 3/4") back to a length of 1.456".
3. I've a .50-60 Peabody carbine that long ago a gunsmith converted the rimfire block to centerfire, then lengthened the chamber to .50-70 Gov't/.50 1 3/4" and it works fine. A shame in a way, as this was 1 of 350 shipped to South Carolina in 1877. It's a fine shootin' carbine.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2019 at 10:06pm by Hombre »  

IP Logged

Hombre
Junior Forum Member

Re: Peabody: rimfire / centerfire
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:31am
Print Post  
Rimfire to centerfire conversion on a .50-60 Peabody, 1 of 350 carbines shipped to South Carolina in 1877.
The small spring and plunger show a nifty way to have a retractable firing pin.

IP Logged

John in PA
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Another quick cheat to use a rimfire lock with a  long trough (.43 Spanish, .45-70) breechblock is to shim just the nose of the lock between the receiver and lockplate. Should satisfy the need to make it go BANG! a few times. For more extensive shooting, follow one of Ken's other excellent suggestions.  Wink

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for your suggestions. Have a spare RF breech block with a couple extra RF firing pins. Right now close up work
will have to wait. Just had both eyeballs relined (cataract surgery)
and lathe dials,reading are impossible. Hopefully see the eye doc on the 21st for reading glasses. Frank

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 12:43am
Print Post  
You shouldn't have to wait that long. I had mine done this summer and I had reading glasses before the op. Went to the Dollar Store and for $7 picked up 7 pairs with different strengths. Helped me decide what strength I wanted when I got my regular glasses. Tried bifocals for a month and then got trifocals so I had all distances covered.

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Well the eye doc's kinda old fashioned and most likely wants to let both lenses settle in. Eyes are still kinda light sensitive so still wearing the heavy duty eye goggles. Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint