Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perfect trim length (Read 1270 times)
cdnrokon
Junior Forum Member

Perfect trim length
Nov 24th, 2019 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I have a Lyman and a Forester case trimmer and I am making 40/50 sharps straight from 303 British. I am looking to trim to 1.88 and I am having a hard time getting precise trim lengths. any tricks? suggestions? I am running the 303 case in a drill press trimmer to 1.90 , annealing, fire forming them  then trim to final length. on the hand crank case trimmer.

I think that it is time to replace the old Lyman and get something else.

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Re: Perfect trim length
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
The Lyman hand crank should get you there. are you using same amount tightening pressure on the chuck? Also make sure the cutter is sharp and seated. 1 or 2 thou. either way is not worth worrying about. Is the arbor bushing wore out? Mine was and Lyman had no replacement (40 yr old) for it so I machined up a new one. ****check your bushing***, my old bronze one used to creep one way then the other and that is the positive stop for trim length. I Loctited the new one in place, and the rebuilt thing works perfectly now.
best
kw

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Just a thought but any speck of dirt (Cat Hair Smiley) or such on the surfaces that the Collet seats against will throw you off.  And then the next case will have that speck somewhere else and you got a different result.  Enough to make a Old Machinist start drinking. Good luck, David

IP Logged

cdnrokon
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  

Thanks for the tips , I did check the bushing on the Lyman and that shaft has some wiggle in it. Iam going to replace the hand crank Lyman with a hand crank Forster, To match the drill press Forster. I am going to blow the collets clean with air and pay more attention to the cleanliness.  Like you say thou either way... I guess I was sweating the small stuff.

thanks

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2019 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I was using a Forster to trim my 40/65 cases, got odd lengths, as the collet indicates the case from the base , some of my case rims vary in thickness so I finished up with different lengths, I now use a pacific/hornady ,it uses standard case holders ,as the collet indicates from the front of the rim,problem solved.

Cheers Mal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint