Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Art of Offhand (Read 966 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

The Art of Offhand
Nov 28th, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
For those of you who have never watched it before.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Re: The Art of Offhand
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I watched it and it is well done.....plus I am fond of Ballards!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
17,458 views from 2017 to date from what I could tell. And it introduced quite a few folks to a mostly unknown sport.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Great video, itís a shame not a dozen offhand Schuetzen  shooters east of the Mississippi.

Boats

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Boats, sure glad I live west of Mississippi! Our club is still mainly offhand but I know what your saying and wish it was not the case in most parts. But that said it sure would be nice to see more people try out the DSA postal this year. We have quit a few participate but be nice to see more new people. Here is the info.

Itís free and plenty of fun. All honor system and a good reason to go shoot.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
itís a shame not a dozen offhand Schuetzen† shooters east of the Mississippi.

At my New Jersey gun club general membership with approximately 280 present - I asked how many own a single shot rifle with a falling block† ...ONE HAND was raised.† Indicated trying to start matches was a lost cause

And when Bill Roth was still alive, Schuetzen Meister of the New Jersey Curlew Bay Club, every Sunday only about 8 of us from January to April ...† held offhand 50 ft matches from the heated shooting room and when the weather broke we held outdoor 100 & 200yd offhand matches.† The club dissolved when Bill past away
TIS SAD!† Cry

Regards
John
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
When I had CPA build my Pope style offhand rifle in 1996 there were 3 clubs driving distance shooting full Length Schuetzen with lots of competition & very good shooters. Two more running 50 foot indoor wintertime. One left with reasonable turn out.

Still lot of offhand Shot mid Atlantic itís just not under Schuetzen rules† my club 27 competitors CF match last month† capacity is 32 on the line .  RF match similar turnout, between Center and Rimfire 24 matches per year..

CPA has the Pope stocked Rifle now converting it to a sporter style to suit local offhand match rules. Will give me two CPA rifles for the matches, better than one shooting & one sitting unused.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 3:46pm:
Great video, itís a shame not a dozen offhand Schuetzen† shooters east of the Mississippi.

Boats

Agree.† I shoot mostly off-hand.† Not too many others in the competitions I attend. 

I'm  having CPA restock my 25-20 into the off-hand configuration and fit the 219 Zipper barrel to it too.  Come on PRAIRIE DOGS!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

RonJonUSN
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
And when Bill Roth was still alive, Schuetzen Meister of the New Jersey Curlew Bay Club, every Sunday only about 8 of us from January to April ...  held offhand 50 ft matches from the heated shooting room and when the weather broke we held outdoor 100 & 200yd offhand matches.  The club dissolved when Bill past away

Jon Boy,  We still shoot the gallery matches every Sunday morning December thru March.  25 yards offhand.  We had 9 shooters last time.  I am the only one left that you would know and the only one shooting a single shot (my 32-40 Maynard). Most try to use a lever action, in my opinion not a true target rifle.  Ron

IP Logged

CptCurl
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Boats,

Where are you located in the Old Dominion?  Are there any shooters or matches in the western part of the state?

Thx,
Curl

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Driving distance from Western Va get in touch with Green Frog on this forum  Chinquapin Schuetzen matches in Gretna Va.  North in Thurmond Maryland Chris Christensen Columbia Schuetzen. A few offhand shooters either location, both nice matches for bench shooters.

Further south Asheville NC club although not sure of future matches in Asheville. Pennsylvania Philadelphia Suburbs Conestoga club runs Offhand gallery Winter months .

My club Cavalier Rifle & Pistol in Montpellier Va has two Single Shot offhand matches every month. one Rimfire at 100 one CF at 200. Not under Schuetzen rules. Our matches are 40 shots shoulder to shoulder in relays on swinging Ram targets hit or miss scoring.  25 plus shooters per match. Fairfax R&G runs the same format, they skip Rimfire a couple of winter Months

Send me a PM & will give you my phone number for details.

Boats

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I'm sure you're tired of this, but here it is again;

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Never tired of it, best concise description of how to shoot offhand.

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 4:30am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Dec 4th, 2019 at 5:44pm:
Never tired of it, best concise description of how to shoot offhand.

Boats

I tried to follow Harry's and the Russian coach book advice.† I think it helped my offhand progress a step beyond mediocre† Roll Eyes† One day I asked NRA smallbore and high power silhouette champion Dennis Martinen (sic?) what it took to shoot like he did.† He told me 6 days a week to maintain and 7 to improve.† I knew that wasn't gong to happen† Cheesy† Lonnie B told me Jim Faren wore out a Miller dry firing every day all day!† Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 7:02am
Print Post  
There are so many things to learn, shooting any gun, itís easy to get lost in the basics & not get to whatís important.

Itís like driving your car nobody thinks about how to adjust the mirrors or which way to switch on the turn signal . All that has been reduced to muscle memory. Good driver keeps eyes on the road and reacts to what they see.

Good shooter never thinks about loads or which way to turn the sight knob. Weather and wind strategy is decided before you pick up the rifle. Position is in muscle memory,† only noticed if itís off.

All thatís really important is training your brain to send the pull the trigger signal when your eye tells you itís right.

Bass

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint