Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic KAL .50 TGBS .492" PP mould ... (Read 1047 times)
Reverend Al
Oldtimer

KAL .50 TGBS .492" PP mould ...
Dec 2nd, 2019 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I just bought this gently used KAL adjustable PP mould and wondered if anyone here has any experience in shooting it?  It will be used for PP loads in .50-70 Government in a New York Militia Rolling Block and an original conversion Sharps in a 3 band military rifle (and likely in a friend's Shiloh sporter in .50-90).  I understand that it is designed to PP to bore rather than groove diameter.  Any suggestions as to suitable paper for patching this "slick"?

This will be my first attempt at PP'ing so should make for an interesting project!  Many thanks in advance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Re: KAL .50 TGBS .492" PP mould ...
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
PS: What a beautifully made mould!  This thing is like a piece of jewelry!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Red River Rick indeed does top notch work.

I have his adjustable moulds in .44 and .45, so donít have any specifics for loading and shooting .50 caliber per se.  However, I use tracing paper at 1.5 thousandths or so thickness and, occasionally, Vellum paper at around or a little over 2 thou, max.  If you can find it, K&E graph paper, or old erasable bond typing paper was also around 1.5 thou, and worked well for me.  I havenít had any luck with paper any thicker.

The paper should be crackly and translucent, rather than pulpy, like computer printer paper.  I donít look for rag content, and I canít figure thickness from pounds-per-ream, so I check the paper at the store with a micrometer.  Two wraps around your bullet should give you a diameter that can be pushed through the bore of your rifle with the tops of the lands marking, but not cutting into, the paper.

Ideally, the bullets will slip fit into your fired, unsized cases, but generally they will be loose and require slight mouth reduction to stay together with handling.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod, I only tried paper patching once many years ago. I didn't have much luck with it, but it sure would have helped to get a clear, practical discussion with someone like you when I did.
It's time to give you a well earned attaboy.  Smiley

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

cdnrokon
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Al did you get that from Rex?† Mike a local shooter / collector passed and he had lots of Red River Ricks moulds.
He does very nice stuff.

I was over at his place last week and RRRick is looking for some Rolling block parts for a number 5 action if anyone has.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2019 at 2:40pm by cdnrokon »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, I just bought this mould from Rex and it was from that estate.  I've been procrastinating, but I need to have Rick make me a couple of other moulds.  (Too many projects and not enough time to get to them all!)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Dec 2nd, 2019 at 10:36pm:
Red River Rick indeed does top notch work.

I have his adjustable moulds in .44 and .45, so donít have any specifics for loading and shooting .50 caliber per se.† However, I use tracing paper at 1.5 thousandths or so thickness and, occasionally, Vellum paper at around or a little over 2 thou, max.† If you can find it, K&E graph paper, or old erasable bond typing paper was also around 1.5 thou, and worked well for me.† I havenít had any luck with paper any thicker.

The paper should be crackly and translucent, rather than pulpy, like computer printer paper.† I donít look for rag content, and I canít figure thickness from pounds-per-ream, so I check the paper at the store with a micrometer.† Two wraps around your bullet should give you a diameter that can be pushed through the bore of your rifle with the tops of the lands marking, but not cutting into, the paper.

Ideally, the bullets will slip fit into your fired, unsized cases, but generally they will be loose and require slight mouth reduction to stay together with handling.

OK, thanks for the info ... much appreciated!

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint