Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Size matters (Read 561 times)
weneedtoo
Junior Forum Member

Size matters
Dec 2nd, 2019 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Cant seem to get the Gunsmithing topic to work so I will try here. I have acquired a .22 liner that seems unmarked but measures .20 dia. Mcmaster carr has a counterbore drill measuring 0.328. is that to much clearance? Thanks.
Richard

IP Logged

weneedtoo
Junior Forum Member

Re: Size matters
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Correction!!!!!!!!!! The Liner measures .320.
Richard

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Didn't happen to get that from Numrich, by any chance?  I made the mistake of buying a few from them, and they were all oversize on the O.D.    Embarrassed

Best solution, if you want to use them, is to drill with the usual 5/16 piloted drill (e.g. from Brownells, nominally .3125, but will cut larger) and then pass a reamer through to enlarge until the liner is a good fit. 

Or just chuck 'em out and buy proper liners from Brownells, which is what I did.   Smiley

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 6:29am
Print Post  
If you drill it thru with a 5/16" drill, then with a size "P" letter drill, which is .323", you should come out OK.   OTOH, if you are going to all the trouble to re-line it, you probably should get a liner of known good quality.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Richard,
To answer your question, .008 and the counterboring tool will probably cut a couple more oversize... is too much.
As mentioned, it would be a lot less challenging to order a liner from TJ's or Brownell's and a piloted drill from the same.
Now, if you have a lathe and the desire, Guy Lautard in one of his Bedside Reader's describes a tool you can make for turning a long tube like you have.  I had an old gentleman show me the trick a few decades ago and I've used it a couple times, Guy described the process quite well if I recall - if you're interested I'll look and see if I can come up with the details... but it's a little bit of work.
What is it you plan to use the liner in?
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

weneedtoo
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Its a Hopkins and Allen that must have been pretty rusty before. Someone took a wire wheal to it so its no show piece. The barrel is roached inside as well. Not sure at all about the origin of the liner. Trying to keep it simple and cheap. I can be a little cheap at times. I no longer have access to a lathe. The suggestion to use a 5/16 followed by a P drill is interesting. Planning to get my Grandson to help on this. Again thanks for the replies. I was afraid the clearance was to big on the .328 drill. Thanks
Richard

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Too bad about not having a lathe. I've rebarrelled a couple of H&As using cast-off Marlin Model 60 barrels, which you can buy on Gunbroker any day of the week for about $60.  Makes the little rifles more accurate than they ever were when they were new, at some loss of originality. 

Which hardly matters with a rusty old H&A. 

A chucking reamer of the exact size needed will cost you about $20 on Amazon, (yes, Amazon).  Problem then is how to extend the shank.  Hard to do without a lathe, but possible.

Our resident relining guru John Taylor reams his barrels when relining.

What will you do for a chambering reamer? 

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:30pm by uscra112 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Coarse aluminum-oxide sandpaper, buckets of elbow grease, a micrometer to check progress, and a dozen pounds of patience  might reduce that oversize liner, if all else fails.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 2:26am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:37pm:
Coarse aluminum-oxide sandpaper, buckets of elbow grease, a micrometer to check progress, and a dozen pounds of patience  might reduce that oversize liner, if all else fails.

Grin Grin Now that kind of patience and diligence reminds of a fool I know that broaches gear racks in gun sights.  Rates up there with hand lapping and polishing plastic injection molds...

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

n.r.davis

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Or Scraping in a Cast Iron Surface Plate,  Life is too short for such foolishness. Cool  David

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Jeeezo Pete are you guys spoilt!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

weneedtoo
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Again, thanks for all the replies. USCRA112, it is already chambered. Plan to just glue it in square with the original barrel shank. This planed as a learning experiment. But I hope it turns out good enough to shoot. My Grandson will be helping and shooting. I have a Ballard #2 in .32long that I am planning to reline to .32/20 next if this turns out well. Thanks for all of the help!
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint