Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My version of a striker Ballard (Read 22654 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

My version of a striker Ballard
Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
When I first started this project I hadn't paid much attention to any pictures of this particular model, nor had I researched it to any great length.   Much like I do many of my projects,  I hadn't seen the guts of a striker breech block but I had an idea of what one should look like and how it worked... or so I thought.    After working through a few things - time and time again- my level of frustration has been high at times.   The joke I use about a Ballard adding 10 years to your life!??? at times this one has been life sucking!  I've done a little research now, seen a few, mine is different and if I get things sorted out completely, I think I'll be happy.
The breech block is not a two piece split down the middle, it's solid with a cover on one side.  I'm still working on the springs and those little details.  I have no plans for a safety although I have an idea for one.  I'm using it for target and safety is the breech block open, fire is the breech block closed.  My first one  is incorporating close couple set triggers but the next one will get standard double sets.
The main action casting for this is one of Rodney's, while the breech block we cut from a piece of mild steel.  The next set I'm working on - the material is 8620.   After working on this first one, and starting on the second, I noticed that one has a cover plate on the RH side, the second one the cover plate will be on the LH side.  The first is rf the second is cf... just a little more of that geriatric retardation I keep hearing about. 
I got the post started so maybe I'll add to it later.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My version of a striker Ballard
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Another of your projects which makes me swear - in a good way - that you have more talent in your little finger than most do in their entire bodies.  Do please keep us informed as this one progresses.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Greg, Nice project! If you want to really educate us make a clear side plate and maybe a short video of trigger and rest of parts working.  Cheesy As always great job, please move to Iowa so I can come over to play!

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I got to see a video of it working. Very quick . Thanks for shareing

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Very cool! Bet it will have an extremely fast lock time!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 11:30am
Print Post  
A little more about things...
This first Ballard is a 22 rf and as mentioned this breech block is made from mild steel much like the originals.  I plan to color case all the externals but the face of the breech block will get a preliminary case treatment. 
The action was set up and threaded using a 16 thread per inch square thread, making it far different from the norm.  I've mentioned my thoughts on stresses that square threads exert on an action vs. v-threads so this was another method to my madness.
We decided to make the link, cocking piece and sear from 17-4 stainless as they heat treat with minimal distortion  and become quite tough.  The first few strikers I've made are from 1144 but the final one when the bugs are worked through - will be titanium- mainly for the oddity but for weight and wear also.  The striker is backed by  a substantial coil spring, the sear is tensioned by a coil spring as is the cocking piece and the front trigger.  I'm still working on the rear trigger spring, a coil was my first thought, but with the way things operate, the best choice looks to be a flat spring.  Just have to make it fit.

A little humor involved in the spring making- I'm sure a few of you have made springs, made a mandrel, a block of wood in the compound of the lathe and do a few wraps and then snip!? Make sure the chip pan of the lathe isn't full, I'm a slow learner... probably the first three I wrapped and snipped disappeared.  Then I remembered that I picked up a Flexbar spring winder once many, many moons ago, you know they say one of the first signs of a mental disorder is looking in the same place for the same thing over and over expecting a different result - well I was doing that, only what I thought I was looking for... was there, it just wasn't the design my mind was thinking of, glad it wasn't venomous, it could have bit me several times...  Once that was sorted out, those things with a little practice are cool! 
The extractor will follow the design Jerry Hartwig shared with me, that I also used on #3 a short time ago - straight sliding.  Rodney cut some of these out so it's not all from scratch this time, thank you! 
More a little later.
Greg

"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing GT !

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Ken,
Thanks for the reply, yes it does look very similar to my concoction.  If you have a chance please do submit pictures. 
As I mentioned in the beginning, we were brainstorming and throwing pieces together and modeling it in SolidWorks.  SW's great but some of the things that work in a model don't work in real life.  Simple things like the location of the sear pivot pin...  it HAS to be centered on the centerline of the sear engagement - modeling it, that didn't matter... Angry  a few other little items came to light that have set things back now and then.
The close couple are a product of taking a set apart I have on a low wall and making copies, I really like the simplicity and ease of fitting.  Rodney was able to cut some out real close on the waterjet.  From there I came up with a simple fixture to machine and finish them.
Thanks,
Greg

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Excellent work my friend. I am continually amazed at the mechanical ingenuity some of our members display. Your mention of of geriatric retardation, also equates with senior moment, brain fart and a bunch or others that I get a good laugh out of. Keep up the good work. Frank

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 8:41am
Print Post  
GT,
Your work is amazing! I sure miss access to a nice toolroom. Are you using the animation feature in SW? That was a lifesaver for me when I was designing compound linkages in tooling. I copied and manipulated the linkage on a reloading press for a roll pin insertion press one time that made me look a lot smarter than I am. Good work, keep the pics coming.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Thanks all! 
Bill,
The swearing in my shop can turn the walls blue for some of things this DA$$ does.    When I was a young lad I worked for an old man, (real old at the time, was close to 80 then) I never fully understood some of his swear words then but he used them all the time.  As one ages, they come to mind and they finally make sense, this old feller was very creative (even in his swear words) and I'm beginning to figure out who he was really swearing at.
Boomer,
It is the animation feature in SW's and yes I agree it saves considerable time in machining and design.  The thing about using it if you can apply it - does make you look smarter.  Smiley
What I discovered a long time ago about this trade (machining) is those of us that never set it down, excel.   I had an employee that I tried to motivate by starting a few gun projects, he replied that it was too much like the work he did everyday, he didn't want any part of it but yet he loved guns and shooting!!!?  He moved on to become and accountant or something... Grin  The thing is, those that bring the everyday ideas and incorporate them into processes that make our jobs easier are smarter than most.  Wink
I have always encouraged employees to do "gubberment projects".  Often they step over dollars to pick up dimes but the experience is worth hundreds if not thousands.

I had some time while another machine was running.  I started a trigger plate for the next Ballard breech block, it's Damascus and not a necessarily a conventional method but I'm going to try it.
Greg

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 10:47am
Print Post  
You Guys keep posting. Very nice creative work. Need all the ideas I can get.
Scratching on a slightly different striker action. Having to build a mock-up.
Chuck 

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Greg
"The swearing in my shop can turn the walls blue for some of things this DA$$ does" ........sorta common in my shop also........find my self talking(yelling) to myself....the horses don't seem to mind much. I made 2 trigger plates and 2 sets of triggers and what a pain to get good function and then get them packaged into the block housings.....man there is no spare room below sear. I worked with block castings so they where a little undersized by the time they cleaned up......had hrs into it.

Love your striker project, I have looked at the design many times......I would have a pile of scrap if and when I ever got that to work!
best
kw

IP Logged

Bnelson
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hey Greg,
     As you have said before, great minds think alike.  Maybe it is warped minds.  I'm working on one of Rodney's hammerless Ballards that were done by Hubalek.  I even mentioned to find a Hubalek barrel to go with it.  This one is different, but has a lot of similarities, also.  I don't have the fancy CNC or solid works to work with.  My work is more trial by error and hand fit.  Still seems to work fine, though. 
Bruce

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Ken,
Thanks for posting those!  I think I understand most of it, is that a switch barrel/breech block, rf to cf too? 
I'm expecting mine will shoot well, far better than I can or even care to anymore. 

Bruce,
I know what you mean by fitting and trial & error.  It does work - been there, done a lot of that.  It's that I have a youngster that really likes to dabble and this stuff is motivating him even more  Wink.  The neat thing with the CNC's is I get to skip a lot of the time roughing out parts that I STILL get to turn to junk in the blink of an eye.  Grin  still do the final fit and finish by hand. 
What caliber is yours?  I know what your finish projects look like! please post in here or email pictures of it as you go.  What stock form are you going with?  I had the wood from the Tulsa show roughed by CPA in a PB Schoyen for mine and now I'm thinking it's my new favorite...  Smiley

KW,
I think you need another project  Cheesy I can help, that's what support groups are all about  Grin

Chuck,
I'm anxious to see what you come up with.  You'll have something in May???  No pressure, just saying though... Grin

Greg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint