Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My version of a striker Ballard (Read 27533 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My version of a striker Ballard
Reply #105 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Had some issues with the striker spring and sear mesh on my design - quite a bit of trial and error - mostly error... Sad  A pile of springs and a few sears later, it's working.  Before dark on this fine day I was able to send a few down range, in an earlier time at the range had less than a 50% ignition rate- firing pin wasn't hitting hard enough and in order to get the tension up, my angles on the sear/striker engagement made things barely functional...  quite a difference between rf and cf needs.
I've been getting a little flack about the use of a scope... Grin obviously the hecklers didn't see my previous scope mount design, the individual I bought this barrel from had already drilled and tapped it for scope blocks so it's working out well for load development  Wink- thanks Jerry...
The extractor works exceptionally well and the CC triggers are becoming addicting - after hardening and polishing they have a little bit of creep but they break at about 3.5 oz. unset the trigger has excessive creep but the break is at 50 oz.  I'll probably leave them alone.
Here's a few pictures of the polishing and lapping process and of course, the best target I got with this bullet...
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Here's some more photos of the latest Ballard project.  After what  Bobw has been posting in his projects, I'm a chump... Grin Grin 

I like the ridicule I get about my nice stock and the fancy fastener I use to attach the forend  Wink  It is shooting, I have a load it seems to like - so without further ado I plan to shoot a match with it this weekend... looks to be dry in the north country so I may sand the cheek piece some more and apply a little finish to it but leave the rest of it alone.  Smiley
Greg

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" M.T.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Good luck at the match. A good target quiets a lot of ridicule and turns it into "are you going to make some more?"

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks,
what usually is said then is "you're going to finish that NOW aren't you???"  naw... I'm already moving on to the next one, (got to do that before the fleeting ideas leave me)  maybe when I retire I'll get around to finishing all these that I started... Grin

IP Logged

bobw

Reply #109 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
GREG, you should know you’re causing me all kinds of problems.  You have me wanting to get started on a Ballard!

Keep up the great work!

Bob

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Bob,
I'm anxiously waiting to see your results.  Ballards are really an interesting project and in many of our opinions they are a rifle like none other.
Greg

IP Logged

idjeffp
Junior Forum Member

Reply #111 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
GT - Thanks for sharing your updates! I do like that much simpler trigger plate for your CC striker breech-block! This last weekend I got more time on the mill to machine a second Ballard dst trigger plate and then cut the trigger finger slots on the first one with the .125" thick woodruff cutter. This first one is a proto but hopefully will get me going with machining the triggers and seeing how it works. Got a jump start on the triggers with a pair of water-jetted triggers and two springs from RodneyS. Getting closer - Jeff P
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2020 at 5:00pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - Sep 17th, 2020 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Bob, Go for it on the Ballard, makes a fascinating project.
After you use a Ballard, other rifles seem clumsy.
You most certainly have the capability and would love to see it.
Chuck

IP Logged

bobw

Reply #113 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
You guys seem to have more confidence in me than I do.  Thanks!

Funny, the friend that let me use his Stevens for my current project originally suggested I do a Ballard instead.  I knew just enough about Ballards and decided maybe not for a first build like this.
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send TopicPrint