Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My version of a striker Ballard (Read 4792 times)
GT
Oldtimer

Re: My version of a striker Ballard
Reply #30 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Joe,
It's on my calendar!  Not saying I'll have these done and shooting nor that I can make the trip, but I'll give it a shot.  It's a two day event what's the schedule?  22's and centerfire?

Here's the latest state of this project and the next... The next striker breech block, action and wood for center fire.  What was I just complaining about in my last post? a slow learner too.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #31 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Two day John Taylor Memorial match is one hundred shots offhand at two hundred yards. ASSRA targets.

Straight black powder. 38-55 is most popular. Click the link for the schedule.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Don't want to lose this thread. Couldn't find it.
Return to it pretty regular.
Chuck

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Thanks Chuck, I noticed it absent and figured when I had more details and time I'd revive it and post some more... 

I had some time last evening and did a little more work on this project.  There's a few more issues that I have to sort through but I fit the firing pin, the barrel, chambered it for the 22rf as planned. My spring/firing pin contact isn't enough to make it go off on the first strike but it goes off on the second attempt --  consistently.  It just means I get a practice jerk every time -  Grin Grin.   Hope to have time soon and get it to the range.

The breech block on the right in the first photo is the next one I'm working on.  Different alloy, with plans to be a center fire block.
Greg

"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

idjeffp
Junior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Looking great Greg! ... getting close Smiley
JP

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #35 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Greg, does your design incorporate a firing pin retractor, or spring to retract the pin?

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Val,
I got lazy(tired of thinking) and just drilled the striker on this one and installed the firing pin.  it's a piece of 3/32" drill rod.   You know the expression "better lucky than good"  it happened, the link and cocking piece in our design and the way they mesh, angles and all, when you move the lever the first 1/2" out of "snap" - before the breech block even begins to fall, the firing pin is retracted back in the breech block, and the sear engages and locks into the striker as the breech block just begins to fall - another 3/4" of lever movement... so 1-1/4" of lever movement and it's cocked again.  Smiley Wink

Greg

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #37 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I was told by a very knowledgeable Ballard guy that he thought Charles Ballard's design had to have some luck involved also! He said nobody's mind could come up with all the features in that design without some things just happening by luck. Guess you've got a bit of that too!

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Looking good, Greg. Keeping an eye on the striker fall.
As I have said before, the Ballard is an engineering marvel.
It is the only action that uses balanced forces rather than brute strength to react the cartridge load.
There is almost zero force on the linkage. Luck or brilliance, we will take it.
Chuck

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Made a new firing pin and reduced the size of the impact point, added a second spring that just fit inside the inside of the initial spring.  She fired flawlessly  Smiley tested a few different types of ammo at this range it wasn't too finicky but Norma Match gave the most consistent group. 

IP Logged

CharleHunter

Reply #40 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Just love that scope mount!

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 2:44am
Print Post  
CH,
The scope combination raises a lot of eyebrows and I use it on almost every rifle I build at some point and time - gives me a fair idea what load/ammo combination works best.  As you can see the sight base is almost finished and I'm working on the sight so hopefully the next pictures include the sights...
For one of my up and coming builds I'm going to have to drill another set of holes and go with a larger u-bolt.  Me thinks that barrel will make this scope look small.   Grin Grin

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 11:37am
Print Post  
I am  continually amazed and pleased by the sharing of ideas and talent that occurs on this site. Strikers are kool and fast. Smiley

However, if one wants to multiply their good work then contributing drawings to the archives would be a way to do that.

Documentation is always the last step in a project and the most difficult because all the fun came beforehand.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Feb 17th, 2020 at 11:37am:
I am  continually amazed and pleased by the sharing of ideas and talent that occurs on this site. Strikers are kool and fast. Smiley

However, if one wants to multiply their good work then contributing drawings to the archives would be a way to do that.

Documentation is always the last step in a project and the most difficult because all the fun came beforehand.

DD,
To my knowledge, my striker design is not a direct copy of anyone else's and I'm still working out the bugs.  After I push 50K rounds or more thru this and feel comfortable with the design, build a couple more and have the same "luck" with things working, I may share the details with the archives.  Until then, I don't think it's fair to anyone, especially public domain where it's hard saying what this could look like.   Is that being selfish? to some degree it is.  If someone competent and truly interested contacts me I rarely hesitate to share. 
First off to coin a phrase from a member here that probably has more experience with the Ballard and building them then all of the rest of us combined - "Building a Ballard separates the men from the 'AR' boys..."  He's spot on.  I'm into them now about 4 and I'm inclined to agree with him.   I've re-barreled, lined, made spare parts and fitted minor things to about two dozen Ballards in the past, but starting from scratch is not a feat I'd recommend to a novice or mildly competent individual.   Adding to the complications of the Ballard, a retard (like me) comes up with a harebrained idea, loses countless hours of sleep over it, generates a pile of scrap, and finally has something that functions like he knows it should... the idea and the concept is simple like they always are - but I also have a long history and a trail of issues that arise from projects like this.  Here is not a place for that discussion. 
Thanks for your interest - I truly do appreciate the comments and the folks that contribute and participate here.
Hopefully, I'll have some more to put up soon.
Greg

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Made a little more progress on the build the past couple evenings, it's mostly the mundane work that has to be done.  Decided to make the front sight from brass to help balance the appearance. The palm rest will have brass hardware also... contemplating a fore end cap from the same... may be a bit much?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint