Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Water bottle wind probe. (Read 1599 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Water bottle wind probe.
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
As a child in the '50s I found in my stocking an "anemometer" that worked like that.  The tube was glass, ID maybe 1/4 inch and four or five inches long.  No idea what the bead was made of.    I kept it for quite a while, into my teens.  It helped me decide whether to fly my model planes or not.  It would be just the thing for your 25 meter range.

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
I found a Hall Wind Meter that might be something I can use. Itís relativity inexpensive and simple. I believe I can mount it on a small wind flag post and have direction and speed/ intensity in one unit.

Probably not as accurate as I might want but at least functional. Itís most likely going to be a device to tell me when not to shoot rather than when to!

Thanks guys,
Corky

IP Logged

portside
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Corky
If you should make one of these little wonders DO NOT use a ping pall ball as Wayne, Mike and myself found them to be too heavy. We made ours out of bulk foam like found in Hobby Lobby for making flower arrangements and cut them down to fit.

Dave

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Corky if you think about most all are pointing out when not to shoot more so than when too.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Not for me it doesn't matter what you use it is knowing why what you use works for you. If you can't learn to shoot several conditions it doesn't matter anyway none of them wll work.

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Yep, thatís the one I ordered.

Now just to get everyoneís goat. We have a class that allows using electronic devices. So I have a Kestrel that I can mount on a tripod with a wind vane that transmits the wind speed and direction back to my phone on the bench.  Yes I know thatís cheating but it doesnít really make that much difference and hey I didnít write the rules. I would just rather do it the old fashioned way. 

Corky

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Just a little more detail for this sissy game Iím playing. Using a .177 cal pellet weighing either 7 or 13 grains, (translated that means, easily moved by any wind at 25 meters)  And the 10 ring is .078 inch in diameter (2mm).  You have to obliterate the 10 ring to get an ďXĒ.

Three cards with 25 bulls, 750 is a perfect score, and itís not unusual for 750ís to be shot.

Corky

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Good luck with it I hope it helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint