Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger No 1. Peep sights. (Read 751 times)
Dusty Rhodes
Junior Forum Member

Ruger No 1. Peep sights.
Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Hey all,
I'm needing to fit a Peep sight to a No 1. Something with enough elevation and windage for upto 300 yds. I would really rather not drill and tap the reciever but I think that might be the only option. I've looked at mounting a Tang sight but it would need to be where the safety button is and it would make for an uncomfortable thumb position. Anyone here have experience and hopefully some photos.
Cheers Ian.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger No 1. Peep sights.
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:44am
Print Post  
If you have a scope base an adapter can be made or be available to fit it and adapter to modern sights. I would suggest posting a picture of your rifle so we can see what your options are.

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Years ago I just drilled and tapped my No.1 in 30-06 receiver for a Williams 5D.   Been using it for years.   One thing to consider though is that the stock really doesn't have enough drop to work well with a sight mounted this way.   Had to shorten the stock and lower the comb a bit.   Also, there used to be a peep sight that would clamp onto the quarter rib.   Tried that on a !A in 7X57 and found that you also need to raise the front sight a good bit to make it work.   That was a disappointment, but doesn't require any drilling or tapping.   Can't remember who made that clamp on sight, but I probably got it through Brownells. 

George

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Long ago I saw a Ruger #1 a friend had added a tang sight to by deleting the safety button, and making a two piece adapter that mounted through the slot and tightened into the slot. A tang sight was then mounted on that and it worked great. It also eliminated the extra holes in the receiver. But of course no safety, it that's an issue for some. I never worried about that as I don't load until it's time to shoot.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:16am
Print Post  

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Yup, that's the one I tried on the 7X57 1A I had.   If I remember right, they also sell a front sight to use with it.

Seems like I once saw a No.1 with something like the Thompson Center muzzle loader tang sight silver soldered to the safety.  Doubt that would be great for target work, but close enough for hunting.

George

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Neal Rice is gone. He did make a sight adapter that fit on a Unertl style base.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Dusty Rhodes
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, very helpful as usual.
I'd like to keep the sight as rearward as possible, the mount suggestion inside the Safety option sounds good. 👍🇦🇺.
Stay safe and virus free.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 4:17am
Print Post  
A few years back a tang sight for the No.1 that replaced the tang safety was made by Renners. I tried to get one for my .303 as it seemed ideal for hunting but the sight was still in the development phase. Might still be available.
Spud

IP Logged

remp 49
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Here is a Lyman #1 sight stem in a custom base that I made. That maintains the safety.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2020 at 3:45pm by remp 49 »  

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
About 35 years ago a gunsmith I worked for made a sight for the #1 that had the slide for the safety on the side of the base.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

MrTipUp
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
As Crocodile Dundee might say "Joe, that's a sight!"  Does any American distributor carry it?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
There are still plenty of Central sights here as many of the full bore shooters had them fitted. See them them at the gunshows & swap meets.
Spud

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Redfield before they went out of business used to make adapter plates for fitting receiver sights to rifle actions especially for target sights used for high power shooting. Don't have a listing but they did make one for the BSA international 22rf rifles. Basically just a flat plate that mounted on the side of the action with the lug or dovetail that the receiver sight was fastened to.

And there was an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine about making a adapter for sitting on a weaver base that quite similar to the one Neal Rice made. Although the Neal Rice one it was steel and  actually two pieces. one fit over the rear sight mount and the other piece was fastened to it using Allen headed screws. That was the extension and used Sights with the dovetail like the old Olympic and International sights as made by Redfield. Since the extension is a separate piece it could be made up to take a Lyman or Williams receiver sight. I tried making one and lets say my machining skills left much to be desired. So much for that project. Frank

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
have you looked at CPA's adapters

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint