Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Farrow Kit Arrival (Read 1143 times)
CharleHunter

Farrow Kit Arrival
May 18th, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
After much waiting I am please to say I have cleared one of Rodneys Farrow kits from the clutches of the Australian Boarder Force. About to place my reamer order with Dave Mason Reamers which should arrive about the same time as my new barrel. For those that may be interested I am going with an 8 x 57R. This is simply down to the ability to obtain a quality 8 mm octagonal barrel  from a local producer (they don't make 32's) and the fact the 8 x 57R brass is easier to obtain out here in Aus than 32/40. Will be blackpowder and breach seated and should be fun once completed.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Farrow Kit Arrival
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2020 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
That is GREAT! 
The Farrow is a bit of a challenge to make, be patient and take your time, they are a wonderful rifle.  The 8x57R will be a very nice cartridge in this.   If you get the stock pattern from Rodney, or even the drawing from the ASSRA it has the outline of the stock, make your wood from that and there are very few rifles that hold as nice as a Farrow.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"† T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"† G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

MG-42
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Just don't forgety to post lots of pictures

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:49am
Print Post  
And let me know if you ever figure out a coil spring conversion! I hate the funny shaped flat spring but itís so slender I never was able to make a satisfactory coil spring for it.  I have a little cigar box somewhere with several attempts at hand wound spring.  Making one to fit isnít the problem making one to fit thatís strong enough to get consistent ignition  was the issue for me.

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Charley hunter ordered the 1884 model it has the horse shoe shaped main spring, that are now water jet cut and work really well I just put two of them together. Now to barrel up and stock. Jason has my patterns and a very good duplicator and can make patterns for the 1887 or the 1884 models. Zack T Bruce Nelson has a 1887 with a coil spring that I bet he would send a picture.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2020 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Very good. Best of luck with it. The Farrow will make you scratch your head and a few other places, but can be done and a fine rifle.
If you figure out how to make the receiver cut that rotates the breech block, let us know. Hopefully, it will be in the casting.
No problem with the cartridge selection. It should work well. Second the picture request.
Chuck

IP Logged

Bnelson
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2020 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Ok Rodney, Here are a couple of Farrow pictures.  The first one shows the stock blank that Jason did for it.  The second one shows  a close up of the coil spring version internals.
Bruce

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
A very nice piece of wood and a friend of mine owned one of the first three Miller Farrow actions that they once made. It had similar wood and that is what reminded of it. The action itself was a true example of a machinists abilties and I am not sure exactly how many were made outside of three. If memory serves me right I believe Gary and Kyle keep the first two that they made.

IP Logged

jhm
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Had a friend who had one of his kits (Rodney may remember who) from a long time ago. Have lost contact now but always wondered if he finished it. Very sleek lines.

JMH

IP Logged

CharleHunter

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2020 at 5:58am
Print Post  
yes totally agree with the sleek line! The action is smaller than I had anticipated! Already think about a light weight rimfire and what a sleek little rifle it would make. Will need to save some pennies to make it happen though   Grin

PS dealing with RodneyS was a pleasure and can only recommend his gear! Very appreciative that he was willing to send one out to the Antipodes.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2020 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Just in case the madness takes over  Smiley, where does one go to get one of these casting sets and is Rodney offering other sets that he previously had available?

Thanks,

-Ron

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2020 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
I sent Ron a pm. Anyone else that has any interest in building a Single shot action just email me for a price list. rodney4477@yahoo.com thanks

IP Logged

ScrapMetal
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2020 at 2:24am
Print Post  
rodneys wrote on May 20th, 2020 at 10:59pm:
I sent Ron a pm. Anyone else that has any interest in building a Single shot action just email me for a price list. rodney4477@yahoo.com thanks

Retiring so you have time to work?  Wink  I have e-mailed you for a price list.

Thanks much Rodney!

-Ron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint