Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help with Stevens Favorite 7 o'clock extractor. (Read 1064 times)
22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Re: Help with Stevens Favorite 7 o'clock extractor.
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:18am
Print Post  
I just wanted to say that I won't be really overloading this action since I shoot in my backyard range and the ammo is primarily CCI CB Long 22 ammo. I don't like to bother the neighbors with the noise and I found that a 26" or longer barrel with this ammo is darn quiet. I am making the barrel and it will need a liner and one that fits a barrel longer than 26" is expensive. I was hoping I could find a long liner for a 22 short type bullet but Brownells only sells the long liners with a 1-16" twist but I found the CCI CB ammo shoots darn good in that twist.

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I've gotten a little closer to my backyard target rifle. I still need to cut the 7 o'clock extractor slot, install a hammer and trigger and their springs when I can get them. The butt stock and  forend are not Stevens Favorite parts so I had to do some wood work to make them fit.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
This helped to pass the time stuck at home.
Edit to add; I forgot that I also need to install the firing pin.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2020 at 3:11pm by 22_boomer »  

IP Logged

Sure shot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Looks like your getting closer to a complete rifle, without killing your budget. The stock seems to have worked out well for being from a 44,nicely fitted!

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:44pm:
Looks like your getting closer to a complete rifle, without killing your budget. The stock seems to have worked out well for being from a 44,nicely fitted!

I still need to figure the room for the hammer spring in the stock but I don't have it yet. The forend was originally made for my BSA Martini international years ago but I could not copy the screw threading. I figured it must have been Whitworth threads and I don't have a tap and die set for that.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
That Favorite originally had the "arch" style hammer spring, which is visually identical to the spring used in the Model 44.  Indeed, they will interchange, but the Favorite spring was of  thinner stock.  Jack First and Wisner both list an arch spring for the earliest Favorite, but it's a 44 spring they will ship to you.  The 44 spring is so stiff in a Favorite that it takes two hands to cock the hammer!  In mine, I narrowed the spring down on a belt sander until it felt right.  If you come to it, I can open up mine and tell you how wide my spring ended up.

It's certainly possible to convert to the later "cantilever" spring and hammer.  Both of which will be much easier to find.  The cantilever spring needs less wood cut away inside the stock. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
One only needs to keep in mind when thinning a spring if you happen to get it to hot it will no longer be a spring.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Here may be your lever:

rts-899?product_id=21455

He also shows the correct hammer, but it's out of stock.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Gun Parts Corp. has a hammer and trigger listed as in stock for a favorite old model that may or may not be correct, the hammer Is $43.50 though. You never know what condition of a part you are going to get at Gun Parts Corp. Good luck.

IP Logged

MrTipUp

Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Check out all the Stevens "Favorite" parts listed by [i]uscra112[i]'s source.  He lists everything you need, but you do have to check whether they're in stock and in the condition you want.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:08am
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 8:29am:
Check out all the Stevens "Favorite" parts listed by [i]uscra112[i]'s source.  He lists everything you need, but you do have to check whether they're in stock and in the condition you want.

Bill Lawrence

Does uscra112 have a web site -- I'd like to check it if he does.

I was going to use the next version spring and hammer. The spring lays flatter and has a little finger on the end that goes into the hammer. it uses a screw to hold in place and I have the threaded screw hole. I would not have to carve out as much of the stock to make it fit.

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:15am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jul 31st, 2020 at 8:56pm:
Here may be your lever:

rts-899?product_id=21455

He also shows the correct hammer, but it's out of stock.

I didn't realize you were one of the posters here. One of the other posters said you had parts -- is that a mistake? I know about Classic Firearms and have gotten a few parts from them. I have the correct lever and breech block but I decided to go to Wisner's for a new set of screws and the extractor -- they are on the way.
Edit to add; This rifle was in no way meant to be correct just a target shooter for the back yard. I had disliked that stub on the barrel set screw so I cut it down to just a round bump and made a nice screw driver slot in it and blued it. I don't plan on taking the rifle apart after it's finished so the extra metal for being able to screw it in with my fingers was really unnecessary for me.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:18am by 22_boomer »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I didn't realize that you already had your hammer and spring. I hasten to add that I have no issue with converting it to the later style - not one of your hyper-originalist nazis when it comes to building a "bitza".  (British motorcycle hacker's term - bits'a this and bits'a that.)

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 10:51am:
I didn't realize that you already had your hammer and spring. I hasten to add that I have no issue with converting it to the later style - not one of your hyper-originalist nazis when it comes to building a "bitza".  (British motorcycle hacker's term - bits'a this and bits'a that.)

Actually I don't yet have the hammer. I ordered the spring and screw so I could cut clearance for it. I'm a bit limited right now on what I can buy so the spring business gets taken care of then I order the correct hammer, trigger and trigger spring. Have a light hurricane coming at us right now so other projects end for now.

IP Logged

22_boomer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
After waiting for the local post office to figure out what they did with my package I received my hammer spring and screw. That was some major carving to do so I could slide the butt stock back on. A big reason was I don't have the hammer yet so the spring had nothing to hook into so was all the way out -- but I finally got it.

Edit to add: This is the type of hammer I will get and the spring I just installed. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Another edit: Just finished fitting the extractor in the barrel breech. Getting that notch just right was a bit nerve racking. If I messed this up the barrel was ruined.
« Last Edit: yesterday at 10:55am by 22_boomer »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint