Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stock pull length and drop (Read 626 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stock pull length and drop
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
I'm sure that was the point- if the story is true- the old man didn't want to screw up his rifles for the kid to shoot. Some families just didn't have a reason to buy kids any rifle. Like in the middle of Duluth Minn. during the depression, or whatever. Consider yourself lucky if what you say is accurate.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
What I said was the truth I had very caring but not wealthy by any means parents when we were growing up. My Brother's first 22 was a Model 69A Winchester single shot while still in elementary school and mom got it with her Blue Chip Stamps that she had saved for his birthday present. Dad was a hunter and had his own and he and mom had to sacrifice and do without for him to be able buy us or own. And that was not unique my Uncle's also did the same for their own and we all hunted together growing up on Grandpa's farm with the exception being Deer of which there none. So off to the High Sierra's we would go pack in with horses and stay for a week or so.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I was told I'd grow into it.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I had to grow into 'em myself. First stock I shortened was for my wife- and she immediately decided she didn't want to shoot any further. Now I have a Remington 700 in .243 that I don't shoot either. Maybe I'll grow into it Wink

IP Logged

pmcfall

Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
The old rule of thumb was 13 1/2" for a 5' 10" person.  For every inch difference from 5' 10" add or substract 1/8" on the pull.  Obviously doesn't take into consideration individual differences in body types but at least a starting place.
Phil

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
When I bought my son his first Red Ryder BB gun I had to cut about three inches off the back of the stock for him to be able to learn to shoot it correctly. I saved that piece and when he grew old enough to put it back on that is what I did. One of my  granddaughters wanted to start shooting smallbore in our clubs junior program but even their Junior rifles would not fit her correctly. So I picked up a Mossberg Model 144LSB cut it down on both ends. I turned it into a single shot instead of it using the original clip, re-crowned it, replaced the front sight and added some weight in the butt stock to keep from being to muzzle heavy for offhand. She is now 21 and she still has it for her own children to be able use. And the rifle also shoots extremely well in regards to it being very competitive for the smallbore gallery matches. When she got older I bought her a Feinwerkbau 2700 Super Match Light she wanted to earn her way into a shooting scholarships at TCU. Unfortunately serious health issue came up and she could no longer achieve that goal in her life. But below is what she started out with and just a little girl at that time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bobw

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I cut out the plywood try stock today.  This was a mockup of the actual frame and trigger position using my drawings.  I made it figuring to start at 13 3/4.  While not very comfortable to hold, doesn’t feel like a real gun, I could easily wrap the middle joint of my trigger finger around the trigger.  But, it felt pretty good with my finger tip on the trigger.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Interesting and thanks for letting me know how that method turned out.

IP Logged

bobw

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
You’re welcome and thanks for all your thoughts.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
One of my wife’s early guns was also a Remington 243 and I shortened it to around 11.5”. She is still shooting it 35 years later.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Mine isn't quite that short, but even with a slip on butt pad it's pretty stubby for me. I'm not very tall and don't need a lengthy stock, but then I don't like my hand wraping the wrist of the stock sitting on the tip of my nose Grin
Of course, the slip on pad, over the regular one, makes a sloppy fit, so it sits unused. I was going to buy a plastic stock but then I'd need to get a trap floorplate and whatever else, since it's an ADL. With what once was nice wood.

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #26 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
CF,

Ebay is usually loaded with 700 ADL SA synthetic stocks.

They typically sell for somewhere between $25 to $50.

They are not glamorous, but are quite tough and feel right.  Fill the hollow butt section of the stock with waterproof packing peanuts or foam packing sheets to get away from guitar body syndrome on a hunting rifle. 

Hayface

Apologies for detouring the thread.

Back to regularly scheduled program.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pointer. I'd ceased looking anywhere sone tme ago. Sort of a case of 'out of sight, out of mind' til it showed up here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint