Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Eye Dominance (Read 633 times)
rikkit
Junior Forum Member

Eye Dominance
Jul 31st, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
OK I'm in my early seventies and have shot right handed all my life.  Recently started working with my granddaughter on shooting and we discussed and checked her for eye dominance.  And just for the hell of it I checked myself, and low and behold I am left eyed dominant.  After this much time would changing my shooting hold make any sense?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Eye Dominance
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:42am
Print Post  
It does change as you age and can go back and forth while shooting. Rifles not so much issue use a off eye blinder.

Shotguns it gives me a fit. Shooting both eyes open miss a few way off unexplained. Close My left eye and go back to hits. Way around it rifle pistol or shotgun is hard focus on the target, blocked scope or peep sight. Shotgun paying attention to what’s going on and not mounting the gun until eyes are locked on the,bird.

Simply put dominance is Off eye wants to focus on the closest object, Muzzle or front sight, when your body is aligned otherwise.

Boats

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 6:15am
Print Post  
A small cataract in the right eye caused me to experiment with left-eye sights for a couple of years.   At first, it was impossible to pull the trigger -- 50+ years of hand-eye coordination needed to be re-trained.  I had some good success with the left-eye sights, but they were such a PITA to operate on the range, that I finally gave them up.

One of the grandchildren is right-handed/left-eyed and we have kinda decided to teach him to shoot right-eyed.   A long-time friend manages to shoot rifles right-handed, and shotguns left-handed.

CHRIS

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 6:15am:
A small cataract in the right eye caused me to experiment with left-eye sights for a couple of years.   At first, it was impossible to pull the trigger -- 50+ years of hand-eye coordination needed to be re-trained.  I had some good success with the left-eye sights, but they were such a PITA to operate on the range, that I finally gave them up.

One of the grandchildren is right-handed/left-eyed and we have kinda decided to teach him to shoot right-eyed.   A long-time friend manages to shoot rifles right-handed, and shotguns left-handed.

CHRIS

I also have a grandson who is right-handed & left-eyed.  Taught him to shoot left-handed.  Worked fine. He now has a left-handed Aydt.

IP Logged

rikkit
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your stories, I didn't mention it in my starting thread but as a kid I wrote left handed, and was advised that I was a natural "south Paw".  Well growing up our neighborhood kids would get together to play baseball, not every kid could afford to buy a mit.  During our games every body would leave a mitt on the field at the end of a 3 out cycle this was so the opposing side could just borrow a mitt to continue the game.  Nobody else was a lefty so I conditioned myself to be a right hander so that I would have a mitt to play with.  Still write left handed and shoot righty no wonder I grew up so confused!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I tried Dave Casey's offset scope rifle once. No problem getting the shot off.

Have also shot my cockeyed percussion Schuetzen rifle. Could get used to it fast if I had to.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
We have two down here who had detached retnia's in their right shooting eyes and they have both switched to shooting left handed.
Myself I had a stroke back in 2010 and I incurered some permanent and parcial vision loss in my right shooting eye. I decided I was to old to try and switch but I also did not want to quit competitive shooting. So I basically had to retrain myself on how to deal with it and I have since learned to get by with it quite well. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't change unless you absolutely have no other choice. Left handed rifles are also hard to come by so I would try sticking with the right eye and to learn how to work with it.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Johns advise is good

I would block the off eye and sharpen your vision with the weak eye. Scope, arpeture sight, diaopter lens In the sight etc. Common problem no need to switch sides 90% of the time.

Boats

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 5:57pm:
Johns advise is good

I would block the off eye and sharpen your vision with the weak eye. Scope, arpeture sight, diaopter lens In the sight etc. Common problem no need to switch sides 90% of the time.

Boats

Agree.  Been thru it.

CHRIS

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
The problem my grandson has is that I built him a right handed rifle, complete with cast off, before I knew he was left eye dominant. Shooting left handed the rifle just doesn't fit so he just closes his left eye. It works for him and that what is important. Also, I remember reading an article in a gun magazine stressing the importance of shooting with both eyes open. A few pages later there was a photo of a high ranking gunwriter about to squeeze off a shot. He had his off eye tightly shut.  Grin

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
  I'm slightly left eye dominate and right handed and find it no inconvenience for benchrest shooting, but for offhand it's easier on the eyes to keep both open.  I get those little clear plastic suction cup things with hooks for hanging stuff (about 1/2" dia.) and take the hook off and stick it on the left lens of my glasses.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
rikkit wrote on Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:43pm:
Thanks for your stories, I didn't mention it in my starting thread but as a kid I wrote left handed, and was advised that I was a natural "south Paw".  Well growing up our neighborhood kids would get together to play baseball, not every kid could afford to buy a mit.  During our games every body would leave a mitt on the field at the end of a 3 out cycle this was so the opposing side could just borrow a mitt to continue the game.  Nobody else was a lefty so I conditioned myself to be a right hander so that I would have a mitt to play with.  Still write left handed and shoot righty no wonder I grew up so confused!

I find this post interesting, and very similar to my early years. In school I would begin writing on the left side of my paper with my left hand, and then switch to my right as I got halfway across the paper. Then back to left for the next line down.
My teacher told my parents they needed to force me to use my right hand since I could use either, and the world was right hand oriented, so I'd be better off right handed. I always wondered why I wouldn't be better off ambidextrous?
I've always been left eye dominant also, but shot right handed. I swing a batted left handed, and golfed left handed, but threw a ball right handed.
I messed up my right wrist almost 50 years ago, and had to re-learn to write and do things left handed all over again. But it actually came back pretty easy.
Wonder how many others had ambidextrous beginnings, but were forced to be right handed. It seemed to be pretty commonly done back in the 50's and 60's.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Vall, I was a natural Left Hander also. And like you the Teachers at the time made an issue of it. But unlike you they never went to my Parents, they just forced me to become right handed. I was forced to sit on my Left hand when doing Penmanship lessons. I did become right handed as to writing was concerned but continued to be a Left Handed thrower, Batter  and all the things Athletic. The result even to this day is that when I try to communicate I Print. When I try to Sign a signature it starts out neat with my first name and turns into a nasty scrawl
for my last name. I just cannot control it at all. I did when I began shooting became a right handed shooter and did well once I learned the basics. It may have been that almost everything I ran into was generally a right handed rifle.
SOoooooooo I blame every poor shot I send down range on the teachers. HTH
Regards, FITZ, OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I was pretty much like the pair of you. I'm still one that writes left handed, because my mom told the teacher that if I wanted to use the left, let me be. Thanks, mom.
I began shooting left handed but started to use my right when I got tired of a Marlin rifle ejecting into my face. And, later I got myself my first new model 70 as a right hand gun. Still do fair with either hand. Fair, not great.
Unfortunately I am able to eat with either hand- and it shows!

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:25am
Print Post  
As a certified rifle coach and junior coach for 30+ years I have always taught kids to shoot with there dominate eye. Kids adapt quick with few struggles and the benefits are worth it. I had a girl once that was 15 when I first introduced her to shooting and to shoot left handed. She became a national Champ in college. I also had another girl who showed great promise but it drove her father nuts that she was shooting left handed to the point he quit bringing her. That said I think at 70 plus unless your forced because of physical changes, I would continue to shoot wth that none dominate eye and just have fun. Shotgun is a different story, dominate eye has to look down rib And bead instead of at an angle to it. Usually amuses people to be behind birds when going in  a certain direction 🤪. Closing one eye you loose your depth perception so judging distance is compromised.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint