Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 12 o'clock .22 F.P. strike on my CPA (Read 781 times)
n.r.davis
Senior Forum Member

12 o'clock .22 F.P. strike on my CPA
Oct 5th, 2020 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Winter is coming, as if I need another project.  Seems simple enough to bore the Breach Block to 1/2", make a new "Sleeve" and make a new Firing Pin with an offset nose.  What am I not considering, as the Devil is in the details.  Thanks, David

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 12 o'clock .22 F.P. strike on my CPA
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Two quick thoughts. I'd call CPA, and second, I don't know if I'd want a custom firing pin just in case it breaks?

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I always make two firing pins for my conversions, Justin Case.  Cool

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I have Stevens single shot rifles in .22 and the pin hits at the 6 o'clock location but most of my target bolt actions hit at the 12 o'clock location. Is the 12 o'clock location a bad thing? I can see the 6 o'clock strike causing the primer to fire kind of up into the powder but I've never had a problem with the single shot or multi shot bolt action target rifles. Am I just wrong here and my bolt action rifles are second rate.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:45pm by 22_boomer »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Stevens 44s after about 1900 have the rimfire pin hitting on top of the extractor.   What that did was to prevent peening of the rim recess into the bore, which would generally annoy most customers, and give Stevens a bad rap.  But it put them at a disadvantage for competition, because ignition can't be really consistent, for lack of a rigid surface under the rim where the pin strike occurs.  For the Model 417 they moved it to the 9 o'clock position for the obvious reason.  What CPA does I don't know, but for best performance it should be anywhere but in top of the extractor.

Eleutheromaniac

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
Stevens 44s after about 1900 have the rimfire pin hitting on top of the extractor.   What that did was to prevent peening of the rim recess into the bore, which would generally annoy most customers, and give Stevens a bad rap.  But it put them at a disadvantage for competition, because ignition can't be really consistent, for lack of a rigid surface under the rim where the pin strike occurs.  For the Model 417 they moved it to the 9 o'clock position for the obvious reason.  What CPA does I don't know, but for best performance it should be anywhere but in top of the extractor.

Dang, I've got a 417 Walnut hill rifle and never really payed any attention to where the pin hit. It's probably because the rifle is kind of heavy and I liked using the lighter rifles.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
As far as I know all the competition rifles had the pin strike on solid metal, and competition shooters learned to put up with having to correct the peening from time to time.  Suppliers sold special tools made to force the peened metal back into its' rightful place, restoring easy extraction.

Eleutheromaniac

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Two interesting reads: Killer Ignition at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
6 versus 12 o'clock strikes at
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I'm not a Target Shooter, well I shoot at targets, but no records are in danger of being broken, but I think Consistency helps.  Thus my desire to get off the Extractor and on a stable area.  2" of Snow today, Winter projects starting soon.  David

IP Logged

Sure shot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - yesterday at 8:12am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:24pm:

I just looked at my Stevens 418 in .22 short,it also has the firing pin in the 9 o'clock position. I haven't shot this rifle much,so I just learned something new about it too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint