Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I'm becoming one of "those old guys" (Read 1380 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: I'm becoming one of "those old guys"
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I appreciate your random thoughts -  more than you know...

I find that if I sit in front of this computer, or TV, or whatever the device, not much gets done.   I work a few hours a day, (tongue in cheek) usually 60 hours of billable, "prod" hours as we call it, then another 10-15 hours of quoting, ordering and billing most weeks.  I find that if I stop and think about it I'm tired. 
When I hit 50 I thought I'd slow down some, but that was now over a decade ago and things haven't slowed - at all.  I've added the construction of a new shop to my current schedule and I was coerced into teaching a gun building class that takes 10 hours more out of my normal week.   So in a nut shell, the idea of selling the pieces and parts for the someday project doesn't fit in my vocabulary - started a couple more action projects this weekend because of this thread - or at least that's my story.  Grin  Grin
If the "proverbial beer truck" was to hit me tomorrow and take me out, it's someone else's problem.  My dad did that to me and I don't carry that as a grudge, it was a responsibility.  Right up to the end, he was starting new projects and carrying out ideas.  I hope to out live him and be active to the century mark, with that attitude a guy needs a lot of material to work with... Grin 

Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" M.T.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Well, Dave, I am one of the old guys. Only suggestion is retire as soon as possible and do what you wish.
Retired from my employer at age 58, spent about three years on various consulting jobs, then built the boat I wanted.
Have spent the last 20+ years doing what strikes my fancy, Knife making, boot making, engraving, rifle making, when the fish aren't biting
All the things I wanted to do as a young man, but could not make the living I wanted.
Admit projects move slower now and workmanship is more difficult but would not have changed a thing.
Chuck 

IP Logged

Lyle
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 5:22am
Print Post  
It's nice to know that I'm not alone with this problem.  I started thinning the herd a couple years ago - so many treasures that I'd never even fired. 

I just had cataract surgery with the addition of a lens in each eye and now I only have to wear reading glasses.  A new lease on life!  Now my problem is focusing on just one project as there are so many.

I need a good trapdoor 45-70 barrel.

Limit politicians to two terms:  office followed by prison.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I just hit 73. The good thing about all of this is that none of us have to be too concerned with long term investments!

LS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I too am adjusting to becoming the guy with the white hair that I used to seek out to answer my questions in the shop....I got forcibly "retired" by a big fire wiping out my town two years ago, have been learning ever since to make the most of the opportunity for a "do over".

Now that I'm living in an actual house once again after bouncing around a while I am slowly putting a shop together to try and do some of my dream projects that I never had time for while self employed.Got a nice mill and lathe put in for a surprisingly reasonable amount and bought the collected tools of a machinist who had passed on to get started.Still a million things to find , but I'm having great fun hunting down tools and materials.

All of my pet rifle projects went in the fire so I do a lot of looking around for interesting actions and barrels and whatnot.The trick is self control....I'm learning to be realistic about what really floats my boat and what would just gather dust.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint