Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 8.15x46R (Read 462 times)
GregLaRoche

8.15x46R
Nov 21st, 2020 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. Iím new here, but own several single shot rifles and have been reloading a lifetime and casting my own for almost five years.

I just bought a turn of the century rifle chambered in 8.15x46R. I had never heard of the cartridge before, but apparently it was once one of the most popular in Germany and much of Europe.

I have been learning a lot about the cartridge and especially the stop ring boolit. I have located and purchased a stock mould and cases for it. Now now need to learn more.

What is the history? When was it first developed, by who, for what. I believe the cartridge dates to when only black powder was used, later was most often loaded with modern powders. I shoot a lot of BP, so if it was traditional to use it, I would like to know. Also what are people loading it with today as far as bullets and powder charges.

Iím sure thereís a lot of information out there and everyone says this is the place to find it. I want to learn as much as I can about this unique cartridge. Please give me personal experiences as well as internet links etc. Thanks

Greg

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Re: 8.15x46R
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
The 8.15x46R was sort of the "standard" European (especially Germany) target rifle cartridge of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is much the equivalent of our .32-40 Ballard (also Winchester). Depending on the rifle in which you want to shoot it, you can use lead bullet loading data for the .32-40.
Be sure to slug the barrel so you can get a bullet mold that fits your particular rifle. 8.15x46R bore and groove diameters are anything but uniform.
You have requested information about which books have been written so it's way too much to get into on an online forum IMO.
Good luck and good shooting with your new rifle acquisition. Please keep us informed of your progress.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2020 at 10:45am by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211† -† ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

GregLaRoche

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know the date the cartridge was invented and used for the first time?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Greg  -   I would suggest one of the books on German/ European target rifles from Rowe publishing. There are three, and I would suggest No 1 for a start, depending on the maker/type rifle. There also is a book dedicated to the 8.15 x 46R cartridge, but I believe it is only available in German. Someone else here might chime in with some other choices and respose to some of your questions. Randy is correct, in that the quantity of information available is immense, and people have spent a lifetime searching for the information you seek. The Rowe books are available direct from him or available on Amazon or quite possibly from a library near you.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
There was a pretty informative thread awhile back where Biggi (from Germany) chimed in......................

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 6:23am
Print Post  
The Tom Rowe published book series is: "Alte Scheibenbusche" and despite the German name is in english. The author is Wal Winfer who is an Australian.
These books are readily available, expensive and worth every penny.
Fred

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 9:45am
Print Post  
The cartridge first arrived on the scene in the 1890's, so not nearly as old ass many others.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Good read about the caliber ...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Regards
John
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Fred, The author is not Wal Winfry, he is the author of the series on British rifles. The German schuetzen rifle books are authored by  Bill Loos, Allen Hallock and C. Ron Dillon, compiled by Tom Rowe. Just credit where due.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

idjeffp

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks John Boy - that was a good article on the 8.15x46R. Going to try some of his load data for sure in my Buchel Meister - esp that 4227 load.
Jeff P

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Oops! needless to say, the last volume I was reading was on Rook Rifles.
Fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint