Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Building a 45 Coltrolling block rifle on the cheap (Read 2284 times)
CW
Senior Forum Member

Re: Building a 45 Coltrolling block rifle on the cheap
Reply #30 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 1:03am
Print Post  
The run-out is holding at less than 0.001" as measured in the old chamber.

I put on the boring bar in the old lantern post on the compound rest and set the compound to the angle needed to cut the slight taper in the chamber wall.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
The difficult part of doing this for me was getting the extractor slot indexed and cut in the exact location. The rotary extractors seem to be a whole lot easier. The last RB I built has a barrel about an inch and a half shorter than I wanted. Undecided

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Anonymous western rancher.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Christmas is over. New Years is behind us. Time again to work on this 45 Colt project.
Today I completed boring the chamber and reaming the front end of it with the throat. Headspaced the rim cut using assorted brass I had.

Also, need to make or buy an extractor.
Now on to work out that extractor slot.

Maybe some pictures of one will help.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

jhm
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Be sure and polish it very well. A boring bar does not leave a very good finish and if you run much pressure they may want to stick.

JMH

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 3:02pm
Print Post  

I would like to shoot a few light loads in it to confirm my 45 Colt chamber work.
To my surprise, having had my roller #5 apart many times, I don't understand how to get the mainspring into this Swedish (BP) roller. I can assemble it and it works without the mainspring. Installing the mainspring locks up the works.

I got the action as parts unassembled.  I have tried to have the hammer, triggers and such in different positions when installing the mainspring, but no luck. 
If I can get it together, I want to fire it with a few very low powdered loads -no stock at this point.  I will knock out the fired case with a rod between shots.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Re-assembly is quite easy.  Install the breechblock and hammer.  Assemble the lower trigger guard fully, including the mainspring.  Make sure the mainspring is well centered between the lower tang "ears".  Make sure the trigger works correctly. 

Now install the entire lower tang as an assembly.  Put the front of the tang in the frame, and insert the front screw, tightening not quite tight.  Now, use your hand to squeeze the top and bottom tangs towards each other, compressing the mainspring and pulling the tang up into alignment.  Insert the back screw, and tighten.  Now, check the hammer and block for proper operation.  The only two things I have ever seen that would jam the hammer/spring are misalignment so that the spring hits the lower tang, and a too long spring that jams into the hammer recess and binds it.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
I changed the mainspring out with the other parts roller I got with it and it was a slightly different shape!   (!!!)
My project action kinda works now with the different mainspring. At least it is a starting point!

So it turns out the trouble wasn't with the install method but the spring size and shape.

I am going to go shoot it new with very light loads to see of my chambering job is any good.  No sights and no stock. Just checking the fired cases.

Another problem solved.  I feel better Embarrassed Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2021 at 6:02pm by CW »  

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Test firing the action and barrel:

Installing a different main-spring got the action working well enough. I started with a loose parts action and before going on with this rifle build, having putting a lot of work into it, I felt that at the earliest opportunity I needed to check my work to this point.   

If boring a 45 Colt chamber seems a stretch, as it did for me, this one at least works at a functional level. I have no idea about the accuracy and won't for a while. However, having shot it and measuring the fired cases, it is well worth moving ahead.

I chose six once fired cases (Starline) and primed with standard LPP. Using an RCBS 45 Colt die-set and loaded the starting load of 6 grains of Unique under the 0.459" diameter 250 grain Colt flat point bullet.
The loaded rounds dropped into the chamber.
I fired two of the six. Both fired and basically fell out of the chamber when I opened the action.  I measured them and the mouth of the fired cases at 0.478" looked correct for the SAAMI numbers I was hoping for.

Just to check in another way, the two fired cases dropped into the cylinders of my Colt revolver too. This isn't exactly the Gunsmith School way of doing things but it gives me an idea how the bored chamber turned out.   One of the test fired cases is in the revolver.

IP Logged

gwahir

Reply #38 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Thanks for this post. It has been very educational; the discussion and the wonderful pictures. Carry on!

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - yesterday at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Next is working on the extractor, as in locating one of suitable size for the 45 Colt. I see a $50 one made for 22rf. (remington rolling block,com) The 45-70 extractors are going to be short. I am not sure what to do yet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Also this link is an online computer to aid in finding the minimum diameter needed to plane the barrel octagon to 1.00" across the flats.

That barrel re-profiling job will need to happen soon. I can't do the whole barrel in my mill so half octagon to round will work. Going round will also remove a little more weight from the rifle. This rifle is going to be more of a sporter as a 45 Colt, so lighter is fine.

I sent the stock wood off today to be carved. Basic wood. Nothing fancy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint