Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Concerns about server compromise due to 2A assoc. (Read 122 times)
corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Concerns about server compromise due to 2A assoc.
Jan 11th, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Several sites that are NOT fringe 2A sites are down, as of a few minutes or hours ago.... and on backups now, including one owned by Brownells.

Asking the question, is the server base here stable or sensitive to a shut down?
I have posted a similar question on another site I have been affiliated with as well.
I am not active on many firearm related sites, just a few. The few I spend time on I have asked.
One of them is subject to shutdown very soon and has prepared a directive to shift service.

Is there a backup protocol planned in the event the server becomes unavailable, permanently?

There is no political content in this post, It is a technical question solely and legitimately.

Please dont reply with RHETORIC, please keep replies to the point, a technical/financial/logistic concern.

Regards

Mike

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Concerns about server compromise due to 2A assoc.
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
I am not familiar with the events you are referring to. Can you provide links to factual accounts as to the issues those other sites are having (such as who is shutting them down, and why)?

The ASSRA site is run on a private server (not shared with any other organization or entity), and as long as the bills are paid, it should keep running.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2021 at 8:54pm by Josh Borton »  
IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Wow.... nice language Jeff.

Brownells lost their server hosted by godaddy for years (happened in the last 24 hours), godaddy has now taken an ANTI 2A stance (anti firearms) and is preparing (as other hosted site admins are being informed) to de-platform other 2A (firearm related, not second amendment political forums, sorry if that is a misnomer) forums.
Tennesse gun owners forum (TGO) has received notice and I am in Tennessee and a paying member.
That matters to me.
We (TGO) are anticipating being dumped post haste and we DONT discuss anything but firearms and firearms related (and 2A).

So Jeff, how about you take a med and reply to my inquiry like a gentleman and not get in the sewer. Consider my question the way it was intended. I Like the ASSRA forum and enjoy the benefits of using it and its constituency. Today some other similar sites have faced shutdowns and relocations due to de-platforming.
Where I spend time, I have concerns for.

I am thankful that ASSRA is hosted on private servers, therefore there is no concern at all.

My church has private servers for their pages.... so they can't be de-platformed anyone for any reason.
Just a circuit cut at a building or central office.

They dont deal with firearms...... just Jesus.

Josh Borton, thanks for answering the inquiry directly.
Sorry to have bothered the BOD.

Thanks Jeff for your swift and precise reply.

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Ok, with that information, I did find some social media posts and news articles. The social media posts just say the site was "booted" from GoDaddy hosting, with no reason why. The news articles all refer back to the same social media post, and contain no further information, other than some speculating.

So yes, we are not hosted by Godaddy, so no concerns there. Currently the server is located in a US datacenter, but I can move it anywhere in the world if I so desire (although not immediately, will take some work to set up all the applications on the new server and transfer the backup data)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint