Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic fire forming (Read 209 times)
gwahir

fire forming
Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I have lost a lot of brass fire forming a 218 Mashburn bee. What is the best way to do it?

Thanks

IP Logged

yamoon
Senior Forum Member

Re: fire forming
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I owned a nice little Martini in mashburn bee for several years. I never had a problem. I used 4 gr Bullseye and filled the case with corn meal. I passes a cleaning patch thru the bore every 5 rounds.
Mike

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
I used the same procedure as yamoon, with the exception of using Cream of Wheat, and had no problems with forming in a Highwall. If your brass is old, you might consider annealing. I say that, as Bee brass has been unobtanium for quite a while. Annealing, if done properly, can do no harm.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

gwahir

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I will give it a try. I was trying to fireform with cast bullets, as I recall. It was a while back!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
There's another approach one can take - hydraulics. I "fireform" my .22 K-Hornet brass with a hydraulic case forming die from Hornady. (Don't ask me what calibers they offer, or if they even still make them, for I know not.) Using a dedicated el-cheapo Lee press to hold the die, run the case up in, fill with water, replace the plunger and whack it with a lead hammer. Do it outdoors, it gets pretty messy pretty quickly.

I anneal first as a matter of protocol - I anneal most everything these days it seems. I experience 0% case loss, and the brass is subjected to one less firing in the process.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
At one point, you could send in cases from your rifle, and they would make a hydraulic die, even for wildcat cartridges. You would need to check with Hornady to see if still available. Fairly recently it still was. No wear on your barrel, although final full forming needs to be with your normal load. My experience has been you are just eliminating rounded shoulders. It doesn't seem to adversely affect accuracy to any great degree, at least not for varmint shooting. gnoahhh is correct, it can be a messy proposition, best outdoors, and wear slickers!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
just finished fireforming 300 22 Hornet to 25 Hornet. this was my first time doing any kind of case forming. advice was to bell the mouth to be a tight fit in the chamber, put in powder and foam wad, breech seat bullet and fire away. i lost one case to a split when belling and the groups were very close to point of aim at 200 yards. i wont use cream of wheat or similar fill. did that with cap and ball pistol and had a mess.
if in doubt about something gun related check this site because someone here has already done what you are contemplating. Smiley

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I found that it only makes a mess if you aim it where you don't want it.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint