Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wind reading tips 3 (Read 555 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Wind reading tips 3
Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Last I promise.

Practice yesterday NOAA forecast spot on. Arrived at 830 set up & waited for clubs county mandated 9 am fire time.† Flat calm, ground fog. then light from about 6 o/c (North) cleared the air. Moving† to 4 o/c then all the way around to 12 o/c or more (South East)† Occasional light gust up to 6 mph. 5 hours shooting wind moved about 270 degrees.†

Look at the NOAA history report Jan 12th 8:00 to 13:00

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

These reports are available most locations, well worth considering.† †Other than good no wind zeros early made little difference to our CF rifles on gongs offhand. Bullseye target shifts would have cost points.

When the wind starting shifting 3 of us went to .22 RF. 6 mph at 200 yards does make a difference RF. Fun playing with it.

Here is the main site. Fill in your range location, will tell you how far to official recording station.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Boats

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:57pm by boats »  

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Re: Wind reading tips 3
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
boats
Thank you for taking the time to post that link to the NOAA site. It's a valuable tool to help prepare for a shooting session. I have been using that plus wunderground.com to watch for "calmer" days before I go to the range.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211† -† ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Randy are you saying you donít get out much? Around here seems the calmer days are few and far between!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Yeah, winds on our range this afternoon were 20 to 30 gusting to 40 and earlier it was windy.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
This is what I call wind-doping for dummies. I rarely get to shoot in calm conditions; when I'm shooting at 200 yards it helps me to understand that my rifle barrel is actually pointing at the top left corner of my target. I can sometimes see my bullets come in from the top-left and slide across from left to right toward the center (this is for clockwise rifling). Under most circumstances the bullets print in a diagonal line from top left to lower right. So if the wind is blowing L-R, I tend to hold high and to the left of center, if it's blowing from R-L, I tend to hold low and to the right of center. If the bullets don't print along the diagonal, it usually means that I'm getting differences in velocity and I need to tweak my load. This is just a general idea of wind drift, and I also like to see the windflags agree with the mirage. But of course your mileage will vary.† Tongue

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Anyone who shoots in wind should know where to hold and understand how wind effects a bullet in flight.

For those that do not shoot but want to know where to hold, this simple wind chart should be very handy.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2021 at 6:06am by westerner »  

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 9:51am
Print Post  
bnice
"Calmer" days is a relative term. It blows a lot here also. A day that has 3-5 mph wind is nicer than 7-10 or above for example. Actual calm days are rare indeed.  Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211† -† ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Here at Bugtussle we have many dead calm days. No rifle range here. Dead calm right now.

Seventy miles South at the rifle range the wind never stops blowing.† At the rifle range I have shot some very small groups at two hundred yards in heavy blustery winds using two wind flags. One at twenty five yards and and the other at one hundred yards.† †Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2021 at 10:33am by westerner »  

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:58am
Print Post  
This one works both ways;† Cheesy

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Bob that is actually the most closely related to what actually happens in the wind but throw in the mirage and it can become totally miss-leading if still trying to be used.

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your chart Joe, for a quick reference, the colors are very helpful. now if I could just paste it to the inside of my eyelid, blink, and I'd know where to hold. Out here on the plains, blink, and the wind has shifted 180. Oh well. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I keep one in my shooting box. I often have it sitting on my bench where I can see it. 

You could have it tattooed on the inside of your eyelids. Or on your forehead but then it would have to be in reverse and you would have to have a mirror handy.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
The wind chart might work well on a billiard table flat landscape surrounding a billiard table flat range.

The 1000yd range at Ben Avery before the extensive berms, I used to be able to read winds and what you saw is what you got. The range was fair and scores were satisfying. After added massive 15-18 foot high berms around everything, bullets start acting like they have a mind of their own.

The same thing at Colorado's Golden Gun Club silhouette range. Corn fields and pronghorn range all around. Dead flat from the line to the pigs and rams. Someone decided we need a 100yd catch berm so plinkers can make use of the silhouette range.
Now, a head wind coming over the berm into the shooters face may (often) lift the bullet enough to miss the target HIGH.  ...Or not, at Mariah's whim.

Wind is tricky stuff Roll Eyes. I have not had much luck with the chart.
IMO-Reading the wind is a bit like learning to drive a car, at first it is hard to keep it going where you want it to, but spend a bunch of time doing it and you get a lot better.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I'm confused already!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Berms and wind charts = chaos. Chaos = patterns. Smallest pattern = win.

There are unmolested ranges if one chooses to travel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint