Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps palm rest (Read 702 times)
SchwartzStock
Oldtimer

Sharps palm rest
Feb 21st, 2021 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Thinking of constructing a palm rest for a Sharp 1874. Looks like most originals had a palm rest that screwed into the lever just forward of the triggers. Others have been fitted to a short, cut-down forend. And one Model 1877 I have seen had a palm rest that was attached using a clamp around the barrel.

Not sure I can get an extra lever from Shiloh and don't want to modify the one on the rifle now. Two options I see are to make a new short forend with provision for the palm rest or make a long bridge-type base to attach using the two forend screws with the regular forend. Guess I could also make a short forend and a long base screwed directly to the bottom of the barrel.

Thoughts?

SS

If you fire one shot you know where your zero is, if you fire two shots you are uncertain, if you fire three shots you know how difficult it is to know where your zero is...

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Sharps palm rest
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Only Sharps palm rest I've seen first hand in a lever was this 78 Zischang Sharps.   

To far aft for me. I would place a palm rest where it fits you whether it's on the lever or on the forestock.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 3:27am
Print Post  
I think you are right.

Holding the rifle with my left hand supporting the weight my thumb falls on the forward end of the lever and my index finger on the stock. For me the best point is probably about 1 inch forward of the receiver.

SS

If you fire one shot you know where your zero is, if you fire two shots you are uncertain, if you fire three shots you know how difficult it is to know where your zero is...

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 9:51am
Print Post  
A simple rest can be concocted by adding a commercial wood-screw-outside, machine-screw-inside insert where you want in the forearm and then making a telescoping post that will screw into that that ends with the hand rest of your choice.  Easy-peasy, as some say.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 10:23am
Print Post  
One inch in front of the action would put the palm rest hanger right over the top of the flat spring would that cause you any unforeseen issues. Enough room between the spring attachment block and the forearm screw. Thinking probably more in regards for the mortice in the forearm for the attachment of the palm rest hanger if that makes sense.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:05am
Print Post  
If you have to put the palm rest hanger in front of the flat spring block this is another option. To me its a bit crude but it does provide one with possibly another approach to possibly think about. Just needs to abit more charming but I do like the why the bearing point rests on the action. And the palm rest can be placed anywhere between the hanger and the face of the action to fit your own personal needs. You should be able to enlarge the picture to have a better look at it and hopefully this might also be helpful. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:14am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:38am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 10:23am:
One inch in front of the action would put the palm rest hanger right over the top of the flat spring would that cause you any unforeseen issues. Enough room between the spring attachment block and the forearm screw. Thinking probably more in regards for the mortice in the forearm for the attachment of the palm rest hanger if that makes sense.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Very similar to mounting a palm rest base on a flat spring Winchester aye John?

Except on a 74 forestock the shape is different with the big bulge near the action. 

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Yes I do agree Joe he would just need to extend the attachment link to the hanger to have the palm rest moved back to where he actually wants it. This is a picture of how and where the hanger is mounted on my HiWall. On the Borchadt it would cover up the forearms attachment screw hole on its flat spring block but that could be easily be dealt with. I have only re-barreled the Borchart shown and not really familiar with if all of the forearm attachment points are all the same. The HiWall flat spring length and mounting block is a bit different and the back of the forearm recessed into the face of the action and only requiring one front attachment screw. What would your own approach be Joe it would indeed be very helpful.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2021 at 1:11pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I think he's talking about a 74 Sharps.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I should have went back to the original question I was looking at the picture you posted.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I did an image search for Sharps schuetzen rifles.  The 74s had the palm rest in the lever on some, on the forestock on others.  You don't think about 74s with palm rests very often. 

The picture I posted was from a match at Glasgow 2017.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 3:27am:
I think you are right.

Holding the rifle with my left hand supporting the weight my thumb falls on the forward end of the lever and my index finger on the stock. For me the best point is probably about 1 inch forward of the receiver.

SS

On the rear of the forearm between receiver, and forearm screw is where all of my old schuetzen rifles have the palm rest located. Most all have some sort of adjustment stop screw that adjusts the angle forward or back by turning the screw in or out. This system works extremely well to adjust the fore/aft setting for a shooter. 
Some are a little further forward, and the forearm screw doubles as one of the mounting screws for the palm rest. Depends on how long your arms are, and where your elbow rests on your body when shooting. One of my Schoyens is further forward, but still fits my long arms fine.

This is more typical of most of mine:

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Joe I believe if using the hanger CPA sells the palm rest could be moved even further back than the location shown in the below 1874 picture. That should put it at one inch in front of action and still miss the hump. What do think and you might have to enlarge the picture to see it clearly. It can easily move back towards the action another 1 1/4 inches and possibly a 1 1/2. CPA hanger also shown below.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:57pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Yes, 1874 Sharps.

As I said, I would like to do this without any permanent modifications to the lever or the forend. Thinking a long base that bridges the two forend screws could work. I could place a number of threaded holes along the base that would give me an opportunity to try the rest in different positions. Worst case I would make another forend and inlet a base into it.

Probably a two-step process. 

1. Make a base with numerous holes to determine the best location.

2. Make a base with "ears" to allow mounted the rest so it can be pivoted out of the way as needed.

SS
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2021 at 6:33pm by SchwartzStock »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
You would probably be better served by having another forearm duplicated and using the CPA hanger and it is surface mounted. You could then use double sided tape to mount it on the forearm with until you find the ideal location to permanently mount it on. Double sided tape is what I use to attach both mould block halves too when drilling for the alignment holes and I use a layer on each half but you would probably want to use one. Two is very difficult to separate if not knowing how it is actually that strong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint