Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington Sporter vs Remington Military action (Read 347 times)
SchwartzStock
Oldtimer

Remington Sporter vs Remington Military action
Feb 26th, 2021 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Anyone know if this part from recent production will fit an old military action. I know there are questions about who actually made the sporter actions and to what dimensions...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you fire one shot you know where your zero is, if you fire two shots you are uncertain, if you fire three shots you know how difficult it is to know where your zero is...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Remington Sporter vs Remington Military action
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:47am
Print Post  
As I mentioned in your other post, that's one of the newer parts I used on my 1867 military receiver to make mine a pistol grip. 
Yes, it fit, but not a drop in fit. The lower tang or trigger plate is equal width front to back, and my receiver had a slightly narrower opening front to back. So I had to draw file the lower tang and keep trying it until it slid into place.
Additionally the lower tang is set up for a Sporting rifle with set trigger, so it doesn't attach the same as a military trigger that uses a through screw for the front attachment. So you have to either drill out the threaded hole on the right side of the tang, or mill a recess in the right side of the military receiver to accept two attachment screws as the tang is meant to use.
And the tail of these tangs are not the same either, as the new stocks used two wood screws through this tang to attach the stock to the gun. So you can't use the single stock screw without modifying the lower tang by adding a block inside, or simply using the two wood screw attachment method. 
I used the single through screw on the front to modify it to military style. And I used the two wood screw method to attach the stock. Seemed like the easiest, and least intrusive method to use this tang. Especially using Remington factory stocks.

But one other note! There's a lot of work needed on the military top tang to make it match a factory Sporting Rifle's top tang! The military top tangs are a lot wider, and a third thicker than a sporter is! I spent hours working my top tang width down to fit the sporter, and then once the stock slid on, I realized the depth was short! Spent more time removing metal off the vertical sides of the receiver to allow the stock to move forward and seat tightly to the receiver. Then began removing the metal off the thickness until it fit flush with the stock surface. 
And when all that's done you need to reshape the hammer and block spurs to remove all the excess big ugly extra metal! And be sure to not buy a military breechblock with a side facing spur, or it will have to be cut off, and a vertical spur tig welded on. Then checker both spurs to make them look civilian sporter style.
But the result is a receiver that will look like a Sporter, and not a poorly done military. Lots of work, but not much money involved, so cost is great.

This was mine after fitting it together, but before thinning the top tang:

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:51am
Print Post  
This was after thinning the top tang, but the receiver edges still not draw filed off:

And after removing the rear vertical edges:

You can see in the pictures how I reshaped the hammer and trigger spurs to give them a Sporter shape.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 11:57am
Print Post  
PS- The late 90's run of Sporting Rifles were pretty darn close to originals! I was told they took an original Sporting rifle apart, and tried to copy everything as exact as possible. Right down to not using a modern, more standard 3/8" front dovetail base on the barrels! They used the old original .467" wide dovetail, so their modern globe sight will fit right on an old barrel.
I found all the screws and screw threads to fit well, and I ordered all new screws from Numrich when I ordered my lower tang, sights, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint