Poll
Poll closed Question:
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Total votes: 0
« Created by: Cbashooter on: Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:09am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tired bore should I keep fighting it? (Read 1911 times)
Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Tired bore should I keep fighting it?
Feb 28th, 2021 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
My recent purchase 44-1/2 in 32-40 has a #5 barrel.its a wonderful to handle rifle but I think im fighting a lost cause.my initial shooting (breech seat) yielded  3"  groups at 100 yards.the barrel has a very grey rounded over lands bore.it doesn't lead,it just picks up crud.im.into it about 400 sjots now playing with different bullets designs,breech seat depth and base diameter has it wanting to shoot under inch but the thing just throws flyers randomly to ruin a good group.
Should I rebore ?or any suggestions you have  help out a tired tube.pics of bore included.

IP Logged

Jeff Houck

Re: Tired bore should I keep fighting it?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
These pictures of your rifle's bore, are they of a dirty bore or a clean bore?

If these pictures are of a dirty bore, would you please post some pictures of a clean bore.

Do you know the approxamate age of this rifle?

Also, the targets you've posted, what are the dimensions. I'm guessing that it's a 2" circle.

Jeff Houck
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff Houck wrote on Feb 28th, 2021 at 6:43pm:
These pictures of your rifle's bore, are they of a dirty bore or a clean bore?

If these pictures are of a dirty bore, would you please post some pictures of a clean bore.

Do you know the approxamate age of this rifle?

Also, the targets you've posted, what are the dimensions. I'm guessing that it's a 2" circle.

Bore after cleaning.circles are 2".

Barrel is factory stevens.im.guessing 100 years old.

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter
If your sample targets have a 2" circle, it appears those groups are about 1.5". What are your accuracy expectations?
Without any specifics about your rifle, sights, bench rest setup, powder & charges plus what bullets you are using, it's hard to asses what might be happening. Your 1.5" groups are actually not bad shooting if you have only put 400 rounds through that rifle. Please don't give up, you are just getting to know that rifle.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
RSW the groups were just the last 4 shot today.I've shot a few smaller but what I wanted to show was the group shapes

I've been using H4227,5744 and odly the best has been with Hogden CFE Pistol .
The bullets have been mostly the Hudson bullet and a NOE copy of the pointed "French" bullet.Bullets are cast  20-1 and 16-1.
The rear  rest is a old bunny ear  and a Hart front with a thin bag for the barrel to slide in.
I'd hoped the heavy gun would shoot well under 3/4" for some of the load development.
It just appears to start to shoot well than goes haywire a bit then settles down.for a bit.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
What scope is on the rifle?

I had a winchester 52 that did a similar thing, I eventually boiled it down to inconsistency in the scope.  With a rimfire rifle, it's hard to separate out the ammo from the rifle when it comes to fliers.

Bad bores don't exhibit fliers so much as they exhibit larger groups.  In my opinion.  Stringing, or grouping with fliers typically points out an inconsistency in the rifle.

Have you put a wrap of teflon tape on the threads of your barrel, to help eliminate the possibility that the barrel is slightly loose?  If that changes the grouping, that might give you something to follow up on.   

Also, check the buttstock for looseness.  If it moves in any way, use some epoxy bedding to eliminate that movement.   

Returning the scope to battery the same way every time if you're using an Unertl or similar is another possible source of inconsistency.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
20x Lyman STS with good track record.ive shot external adj scopes for 30 plus years and do seldom forget to reset but not often
So is the consensus that a worn bore couldn't be the issue of occasionally throwing one?
Here is another 5 shot group with the common wild one.
the stock is attached rock solid btw as is the barrel.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2021 at 10:53pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
My questions about groups is always are you shooting with wind flags and then how stable is your bench.  I dabbled in short range centerfire bench rest for a few years and had a rifle that was capable of 1/8 moa. It did not take long to figure that to win you needed to shoot in the same condition each shot.  My practice range had nice sturdy benches of wood with the seat attached.  With the 36x scope you could see the crosshairs move on the target by just shifting your body on the seat. The next thing I learned was to load at the range so that you could adjust one variable at a time to fine tune the load.  That was never easy for me to do but I found I could premeasure loads into viles.  Now that i am shooting cast bullets I am pleased with groups like yours but like you keep trying to eliminate the flyers.  My thought is a 100 year old barrel might only get 1 moa accuracy with the best load and if your bench is not match quality you will be hard pressed to get that.  Nice shooting I say as many rifles won't do as good as you have shown.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Bulseyetom- concrete benches made for our hunter br matches.They are the best i have used.And yes i use windflags.
If the rifle wouldn't tease me with 4 shots tight many times I'd accept it.but it sure shows it wants to shoot.
If it doesnt work out I may have it made into  33-47 or 38-55 

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The rifle.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Have you considered fire-lapping? I've had good results with a couple of barrels (a.38/55 & a .40/70 SS) that were in similar shape to yours. A dry patch was "rough" to push through the bore. I thought that I really had nothing to lose as I was thinking of sleeving the barrel if it didn't work. My regime was 5 to 10 shots with lead bullets coated with #320 silicon carbide grit followed by 15-20 shots with #500 grit. Load was a light charge of Trailboss & bore cleaned between shots.
Final result in both cases was a bright & smoother bore, better defined lands (evident on soft lead slugs driven down the bore)  and a slight improvement in accuracy.
Now I realise that fire-lapping might not be everybody's cup of tea but it did work for me with these particular barrels & I'd try it again with a worn bore. The only warning is not to over do it as you can enlarge the throat. Just my 2 cents worth.....
Spud

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 12:25am
Print Post  
"Have you considered fire-lapping? "

I hadn't thought of that.i have an old NECO kit I will dig out.though a dry patch is very smoothe through the barrel

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Do you cast your own bullets, and sort them by weight to tight tolerances?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Being a Stevens the first thing I'd look at  would be a loose butt stock.Even the smallest loss of contact will behave exactly like this....Every 44 and 44-1/2 I ever owned needed a little help in this regard.

Also,please know that relining that bore is no guarantee of better groups...Even the most highly regarded gunsmiths have a bad day, I wish I had never sent my Ballard out to be relined, it's no better than it was and I'm out six hundred bucks .

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 11:10am
Print Post  
bluesman wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 10:28am:
Being a Stevens the first thing I'd look at  would be a loose butt stock.Even the smallest loss of contact will behave exactly like this....Every 44 and 44-1/2 I ever owned needed a little help in this regard.

Also,please know that relining that bore is no guarantee of better groups...Even the most highly regarded gunsmiths have a bad day, I wish I had never sent my Ballard out to be relined, it's no better than it was and I'm out six hundred bucks .

Rebore,not relined.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint