Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) reline bit (Read 926 times)
plumb

reline bit
Apr 5th, 2021 at 11:38am
Print Post  
wanting to reline my 1885 low wall.is there any place one could rent the required bit & reamer? thanks 25 20 ss

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: reline bit
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Pacific tool and die sells the piloted drill and there are a couple places that rent reamers.  [url]https://www.reamerrentals.com//url]

[url]https://4drentals.com/products/reamer-rentals/rifle//url]

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Sure shot

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Five or six years ago I tried to bore out a Stevens 44 1/2 .25-20 ss barrel for a liner, using the pilot bit that Brownells sells with a hand drill, didnít work out so well as it veered off course quite a bit! Then I tried the bit on a junk model 44 barrel and it veered off course too! So if you donít have a lathe Iíd use cation.  Iíve done several .22 RF barrel relines with a pilot bit and hand drill, and they came out fine.

IP Logged

jhm
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Don't know your situation but I would just send it to a good smith. I highly recommend John Taylor. He posts here once in a while.

JMH

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Brings up a curious question do you do it all from one end or from both ends and then meet in the middle?

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Depends on the barrel and chamber, I try to only come in from the muzzle end, I make my own piloted drills so I can make them as long or short as needed, though down under here itís getting very hard to get liners.
Gumpy

IP Logged

plumb

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
thanks to all im starting to lean toward a decent smith

IP Logged

cedestech
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Taylor Machine is the only way to fly. He is craftsman. 

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Plumb,

Not a economical project for a "one time" effort.  Too much fixed cost relative to having John Taylor do it.  If you think you will want to do more in the future, then there are ways to proceed in your initial investment.  I have done about 20 liners now, and have a layman's idea of ways to drill, line and chamber with hand tools (no lathe needed).  Once you spend the money for a strong 1/2" drill ($75), a Pacific Tool core drill, silver soldered to a 26" long 3/8" steel rod (about $170 each and you will need at least two - 1/2" and 5/8") and a work bench reamer rig (designed and built it myself for $230 total), it can actually get pretty cheap on a per-barrel basis.  I am working on 38-55 barrel for a high wall action with a all-in cost of around $260 ($75 for take-off barrel, $140 for liner, and $45 for reamer rental), ready to shoot.  The extractor for the 32-40 and 219 Zipper I already made barrels for will also work with the new 38-55, so no extra cost there.  From my experience, the best actions for multiple barrel projects are the Winchester low & high wall Winder muskets, Martini Cadet, Handi Rifle and Remington rolling block #5 (military 7mm Mauser).

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:32am
Print Post  
2nd above 

I have a lathe & have done a lot of boring. but the tooling cost kept me from relining one barrel. 

John Taylor did the job and itís as perfect as a job could be. No visible seam at the muzzle. He blends the join into the crown. Nice rifle original barrel proper roll marks. Mistake on my part could have ruined it. Miss align, clamp marks, chatter,  seam the muzzle extractor fit etc. No way to replace the original barrel.† Excluding tooling cost, Junker for fun worth trying nice one no.

I know my limitations 

Boats

IP Logged

bohemianway
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 9:03am
Print Post  
I had good luck relining a Ballard 22 by boring it out with a removeable pilot counterbore tool I had in the pile. The PO tried to bore it out and had it drift off center at the chamber due to the extractor bore. So I cleaned up the breech end with a boring bar for an inch and then used the counterbore to finish it end to end. Had to clean out chips often but worked.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Most of the time I bore from the muzzle end, less problems with the extractor cut. If the pilot is a good fit to the original bore the drill will follow the bore and not wander off. I make most of my own drills using a long drill and grinding the pilot with a tool post grinder or a spin jig in the mill with a cup grinding wheel.I usually bore the hole one size smaller than the liner and then ream the bore to get about .002" clearance. I make my own reamers and pump oil through them to move the chips out. The drills from PTG are threaded for the extension rod.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Heres's my PTG bit.  Not threaded for an extension.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:29pm:
Heres's my PTG bit.† Not threaded for an extension.†

Might be because of the size, I have two 1/2" that are threaded.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
If I had it to do over, would get the 1/2" threaded.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint