Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Comparison of Scopes (Read 1633 times)
beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Comparison of Scopes
Reply #15 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I will say that the Lyman Super Target Spots are also
Very Good- Bausch and Lomb lenses (best of their day)
and Mounts and adjustments are excellent. And even the Junior Target Spot is very good, though less light in the smaller objective. Same mounts and adjusters as the STS
Then there is my Unertl 20X -2" objective and 1 inch tube.
. What a scope....
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:37am:
Its hard to exceed the quality of a Unertl scope but it also depends on ones intended use.

I agree John. Nothing like a big honkin 2" Unertl in 24/30/36 power.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 10:02am
Print Post  
GunLaker
When I got my MVA Frank Zika asked if he could borrow it to compare it. Frank owned the Winchester check set that the factory used. He told me when he returned the scope that other than the lens coatings and the way the reticle was done that everything on the scope match the factory except the screw pitch on the screws that locate and lock the scope to the mounts. It bothered Frank that they went to that much trouble to exactly recreate the scope and fell down on that one little area.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
My buddy has the MVA B5 with no 2 mounts and loves it.  Based on that I ordered one this week plus 3 extra sets of blocks, I plan on using on my Stevens 044 1/2 that i have multiple barrels (22 LR, 22 mag and i am just installing a 17 HMR).  I think this will be a great gopher gun.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 10:15am
Print Post  
The only thing that I don't like about the B5 is that on mine ( and a friends ) the reticle leveling screw can come loose while shooting, resulting in diagonal cross hairs.   This happened to me a few times when the scope was mounted on a .45-70.  I don't think it has happened since I moved it to my .38-55.

I am surprised that MVA stopped at 99.5% Smiley.  I do like their stuff though.   Everything I've ever bought from them has been top notch.

Chris.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2021 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I have and use several brands of scopes including: including Fecker, Unertl, Lyman STS and HiLux, and have shooting friends that use modern scopes by DZ Arms and MVA.

Letís start with HiLux.† Their scopes are fine and clear with good optics but their original mounts are junk.† Their current mounts that look and function similar to the Unertl mounts are quite good.† These are used on their USMC 8X Unertl copy and can be purchased separately.† BTW, the HiLux USMC copy is a very nice scope.

I would rate the Fecker, Unertl and Lyman scopes as high quality including the mounts.† Yes, they use older glass but Iíve looked through them all including the modern MVA, HiLux and DZ Arms and canít tell any difference when used for normal shooting conditions.† I have not compared them in low light conditions.

It all depends on what you plan to use the scope for and the magnification you require.† Greater than 10X likely means a Lyman or Unertl.† Although I have scopes of 6X, 8X, 10X, 25X and 36X, most of my shooting is NRA sanctioned BPCR silhouette which does not limit the powder but does limit the size of the tube body to 3/4" and the eyepiece and objective housings to no more than 1Ē, therefore limiting the power to 10X based on past and current offerings.

Concerning price, I find the Feckerís or HiLux are by far the best deals.† With one exception (MVAís B-Series scope around $600), the MVAís will set you back at least $1100 or so as will the DZ Arms.† Unertlís come in a wide offering of older scopes in the $800 and up and can be quite expensive to around $2800 to $3000 possibly more if you can locate a pristine 36X Programmable model.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2021 at 1:07pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

S99VG

Reply #21 - May 4th, 2021 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Any thoughts on Litschert?

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2021 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
i have 2 lisharts and they are fine   art

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - May 4th, 2021 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Litschert's generally have above average glass, good solid mounts and a low budget tube.

They were on the low end of the price line for scopes and probably did not see the care that a more expensive scope of the time received. So good examples might be harder to find now, but that's not the fault of the scope.

I have a 20X in a 22LR and it's generally no problem seeing the bullet holes at 200 yards as long as it's not a black target.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #24 - May 4th, 2021 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
  I'm pretty sure Fecker, Litschert, Lyman, & Unertl all used Bausch & Lomb lenses.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

ďThere is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2021 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Litcherts are good scopes 
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

S99VG

Reply #26 - May 7th, 2021 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I have a Unetl, Fecker and Litschert and the only thing different about the Litschert I can say is that it looks to have been designed to be a bit more economical to produce.  The optics seem comparable to the others.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 7th, 2021 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
A friend had a 20X Litschert for sale and I was amazed at just how clear it was. But the rear mount was not the best.

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint