Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Get the lead out (Read 1946 times)
Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Re: Get the lead out
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Take a "Chore Boy" copper scrub pad apart. It is a tube. Use patches to fil the tube to snug bore fit. Tie long piece of twine on ends of tube. Use cleaning rod to run the twine through the bore. Grab twine and "shoe shine" to a bright bore in just minutes. 

The turpentine and tight patch will get most of the lead out in the lower edges of the grooves.

Interesting test on the internet using acetone and atf. Many swear it is a lot better than any penetrating oil. There are a number of posts saying it will not work. There are a number of posts who say use atf straight up. Swab the bore and let it set for so long and drive a patch(s) down the bore. How many of you have hammered a cleaning rod fitted with a jag and sufficient patches to be driven down the bore with a hammer. Dead blows are best.

If it beats Kroil and the others................

Acetone will not harm your blued steel. Keep it away from certain wood finishes. 

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
IP Logged

mr.card1
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I use the choreboy method. Just make sure that the choreboy is pure copper.  I take threads of the choreboy and thread them around a snug fitting brush. It usually takes several threads on the brush. A few strokes back and forth and bye bye lead.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I've used turpentine and a very tight brush which works fine if the leading is not real heavy.  But nothing works better than the Foul Out electrochemical bore cleaner.  It was discontinued several years ago due to misuse by shooters leaving it on overnight or unattended for many hours.  As long as the instructions are followed nothing works better.  They can be found on eBay now and then.  Here's a brand new one listed now:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Old Soldier its hard to imagine just how bad your leading issue really is based on your last reply. When you reach the end of it all put some Naptha / Lighter fluid on a patch until it comes out completely white. I would then put some of your own lube on a couple of patches to re-lube the barrel. It might also take quite a few shots to re-season the barrel again before the rifle settles back down again based on my own personal experience with using Naptha.

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2021 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
MPro-7
I had a S&W stainless .38 spl revolver that though used had been shot very little.  First time I shot it with lead semi wadcutter it leaded badly. I could not get the lead to budge.
A fellow suggested MPro-7, and when used according to the instructions I got chunks of lead out of the barrel. It worked it's way between the barrel and the leading a d broke it loose.
Great product.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 12:16am
Print Post  
With a really nasty leaded bore Mercury is the answer if you have access to some.  Start with a cleaned, as in no oil on the bore use brake-cleaner a couple of times,  plug the chamber with a tight fitting rubber stopper,  fill the bore with mercury let stand overnight if really nasty 24 hours. Pour the mercury back into container. The bore will look nasty, use a snug fitting bronze brush from the chamber or rear push through unscrew the brush knock the crud out of it, repeat 2 or 3 passes should get all that's been converted to dust by the mercury, if bore is clean you are done  if not repeat the mercury soaking. Do the bore cleaning OUTSIDE into a trash bag pitch the brush too it won't be any good shortly.
LD1

IP Logged

burntwater

Reply #21 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 8:50am
Print Post  
As Wayne points out the Foul-out system was by far the best and like you say would still be available except a few boneheads unable to follow directions scared them off. It was an electrolyte filled barrel, a cathode and anode some regulated small voltage that generated a reverse plating or electro-plating operation. When done the bore was incredibly clean.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 11:52am
Print Post  
The best way is still Mercury.

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #23 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Steel wool and Hoppes #9.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Old Soldier

Reply #24 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I can't get straight Turp. I've tried, none in town. I have lead chunks in my barrel. I have scrubbed for at least 6 hours and still have chunks.I'm not counting soak time, just scrub time. I've worn out 3 brass bore brushes, used over 150 patches. Best results are with Hoppies and  steel wool. Yes I've driven the patches through the barrel with a hammer. My barrel is still un-shootable. I shot about 40 of those bullets, and they leaded that bad. I agree mercury is great. Where to get it? Long ago I used it in my revolver. Plug the barrel with your finger, shake back and forth. Clean bore. I'll try acetone. I'll try anything at this point.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Try High School chemistry teacher,  (OLD)Dentist , Miner's
LD1

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Old Soldier, if you want to make a run down to Colorado I know some gold miners that could fix you right up.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 10:03am
Print Post  
The modern lead solvents actually  do a pretty good job, I use boretech rimfire blend and their chameleon gel.  Beats hoppe, less dangerous to the barrel than steel wool...

IP Logged

Old Soldier

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
"Old Soldier, if you want to make a run down to Colorado I know some gold miners that could fix you right up."

We do have a mining supply company here. I'll see if the will sell me any mercury.

Presently, she has soaked for the last 30 hours in Kriol.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Since turpentine is not an option for you, for really heavy lead, the next best thing to the Foul Out unit I've found is wrapping some copper scouring pad around a tight patch.  Copper scouring pads are available at your local grocer store or on Amazon.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint