Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 50 Maynard Carbine (Read 282 times)
George Babits
Oldtimer

50 Maynard Carbine
Jul 15th, 2021 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
While I had the Oehler 35P all set up this morning I also fired my 50 caliber Maynard carbine through the screens.   I was somewhat curious about the velocity and how it compared with the 56-50 Spencer round.   My load for the Maynard is 42.5 grains of GOEX FFFg and I was using CCI "multi purpose" musket caps.  I fired 14 rounds and ended up with a mean of 1019 fps; and extreme spread of 19 fps, and a SD of 13. That  compares pretty close to the 56-50 round fired in the Spencer.

One thing I have to say about this carbine is that I have never seen anything shoot so "clean" with straight black powder.  After 15 rounds it looks as clean a duplex load.  A couple of wet patches, a couple of dry ones, and a light coat of oil and the bore shines.   I've often wondered if it shot so clean because there is a bunch more priming in the musket caps than in large rifle primers.

George

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Re: 50 Maynard Carbine
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I agree, George.  If any Civil War firearm can be described as low maintenance, itís the Maynard Carbine.  Iím shooting a Larry Romano copy of a Maynard First Model, and itís the most easily maintained weapon in my CW Arsenal.  Cool
Froggie

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I have often wondered why the Maynard burns so clean.   My 56-50 loads are almost the same except for the primer and they don't shoot nearly as clean.   Thought maybe a magnum primer would help on the 56-50 but didn't really make any difference, except for a slightly lower velocity.   That didn't make much sense to me either.   My older brother swears by his Smith carbine but I can't ever get him to comment on how clean it shoots.

George

IP Logged

Maynard Buff

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 7:20am
Print Post  
I shot a Smith for years and as I recall it was fairly clean as well.  But the Maynard, both 1st Model and 2nd Model shoot really clean.  I have fired nearly 100 rounds without cleaning and noticed no accuracy issues and no problem loading the cases.

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Yes, that has been my experience with the Maynard carbines too.   Pretty much can shoot all day without cleaning or loss of accuracy.     I could probably talk myself into getting a Smith just to se what my brother thinks is so good about them.   He still shoots actively with the N-SSA and uses the Smith in the carbine matches.

George

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
One reason a Smith or Maynard shoots "clean" is the small powder charges generally used in N-SSA matches, 30 grn's or so is a common load in a .50 bore.
kw

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I use 42 grains in the 50 Maynard and it shoots mighty clean.  In the 56-50 cartridge with 40 grains and the same bullet used  in a Spencer and a Peabody, I get typical black powder fouling.  The only difference being a large rifle primer vs a musket cap.  Third a magnum primer in the 56-50 also, but didn't burn any cleaner.

George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint