Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Boats Cataract Surgery shooting only (Read 1109 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Boats Cataract Surgery shooting only
Sep 29th, 2021 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Give you guys my experience, background and how it applies to shooting. 

Opted for long eye close eye surgery at a “young” age think I was 57. Needed good vision on the water daytime and night, driving, my shop, reading, and shooting Rifles iron and scope, pistols & shotguns. Describe result, driving look long drown the road cock my head slightly left look with the right eye, short the speedometer cock it right use the left eye. Both eyes average everyday use & I don’t use glasses. Close or lots of long work were purpose specific  glasses, don’t have to but it’s better. 15 plus years later still works well.

Shooting pistols, action on steel, both eyes open, refer to the sights focus is on the target both eyes open. Bullseye or long steel targets need precise shot placement . Close the right and get sharp front sight focus with the left 

Shotguns more complicated, memorized targets same trajectory no need for depth perception  like skeet or trap block the left eye with tape on my glasses. Sporting clays all pairs. many presentations, need depth perception and shot placement judgement. I quickly lock both eyes on the target swing on path muzzle low out of sight mounting the gun last minute and fire soon as it hits my shoulder. Too slow follow the target muzzle in view left eye takes over and I will miss by a long way. 

Long post, basics laid out will add 2nd Rifles only

Boats 

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2021 at 8:32am by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Boats Cataract Surgery shooting only
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Now rifles.

Scopes easy adjust to suit my long right  eye. Left either use a blinder or close it.  Iron depends on the iron sight and target 

The only iron sight useful to me is a peep. What kind of peep arpeture  depends on ambient light and required bullet placement on target. I use adjustable rear arpetures and crank them constantly depending on ambient light.  Bullseye target like ASSRA arpeture front and rear sharp front focus is essential and possible with long right eye . Picking the correct arpeture size critical.  Cataract surgery dramatically improved my rifle bulls eye performance . 

Targets with no defined aiming  point, Silhouette mostly but game too, are more complicated. You need to both see the sights and pick a specific spot on target. Eyes natural ablity to range, focus long or short is not improved by the surgery. Eyes elasticity is much reduced as you age. 

It gives me a lot of trouble. Some of our club silhouette shooters use a front arpeture and break the shot when it “looks right “ on target. I can do that and it’s much easier on my eyes but groups on target are larger than I want. Small post and bead gives me much more precise shot placement but the small bead gets fuzzy and will cause misses. Only answer for me is same as sporting shotgun look at the target muzzle out of view come into position and quickly break the shot. I have 2 or 3 seconds to pull the trigger, longer best come off and start over. Not sure cataract surgery helps this but my scores went up after the surgery.

Last thing and not sure it applies to shooting. Main advantage to the surgery is better eyesight in difficult light conditions prior  glare would cause the appearance of a dirty windshield on your car. Surgery completed clears that up. However it also removes a lot of eyes ablity to compensate for bright light. Outside sunglasses almost always needed.

That’s all I know about cataract surgery.

Boats
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2021 at 10:29am by boats »  

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Shooting related...left eye can now see front globe sight AND rear turret clearly,right eye,its just a blur. Will report back in two weeks when I have both eyes done.

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 10:28am
Print Post  
On the blur, way the doc explained it to me cataract is like a fogged from sun and road dirt headlight cover. New lens removes all the accumulated dirt  and scratches giving you a fresh clear “headlight cover”

Boats

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I have found these cataract surgery threads very interesting and informative. I'm hoping to have cataract surgery later this year or early next year.

Currently I have to use a magnifying visor just to remove and replace screws. Working on the lathe or mill is quite challenging considering how close I have to get to my work piece to be able to see it clearly. My iron sight scores have suffered horribly also. 

I thank you all for sharing your personal experiences. It certainly gives me many questions to ask before having it done.

JerryH   

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2021 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I had both of my eyes done 3 weeks ago at 73 after 50 years in the field.  Last week, shooting my Haenel Aydt offhand for the first time this year, two things were evident.  First, the rear peep did not have a blurry blob in the center, and the front sight was vertical after years of slanting to the left.  Who'd a thunk it? Wink

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Right eye done yesterday...here I type and read with NO Glasses. A tad blurry in right eye still..just a tad.Wearing my shooting glasses again to protect eye for A week...Will have to buy A couple pair safety glasses for around shop now.I must have A dozen cheaters.LOL
Glad some of you like Ol Wes dont need glasses.but for the rest of us,An  unbelievable blessing. Pete
Can see front globe sight perfectly now,though I could shoot iron,it really stressed my eyes trying to focus. I'll play with it more in a week or two when my eyes /lenses settle in.....
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2021 at 9:38am by Skalkaho »  

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report Pete.  This thread has been very informative for me.  I have gotten OK'ed for the surgery but the covid has them backed up for 2 to 3 months. Sad

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Joe. If you have the extra $$$$  the dual lense is the way to go....Medicare wont pick up that part.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2021 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
My wife had the multifocal lens a couple of years ago.  She can read without glasses if she wants to. They were an extra cost that insurance did not cover. 

in 1995 I had my right eye done slightly nearsighted so I could see screw sloths overhead without bi or trifocal glasses and for seeing sights.   I had early-onset cataracts when I was 45.  They are usually fast.  They were.  In a period of a year, I went from crystal clear vision to not being able to see a red traffic light.  I did not have to suffer through the 20 years of deterioration most go through.   

The following year the left eye was done.  That lens was far-sighted.  The multifocal lens was just being invented at that time. Both eyes could see things that neither could see alone.  Shooting iron sights with both eyes open as I had always done ended.  Somehow there was a parallax problem with the implants. My groups were 3 times wider than high.  Having that right eye focused on the front sight worked well until other issues developed.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2021 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I just thought I should add the parallax problem is probably rare.  The ophthalmologist made the first pair of multifocal glasses for me after the first surgery, 20/400 on the left and 20/30 on the right.  I was amazed by them.  I could read the tiny serial numbers on the license plate stickers when I stopped behind a car. I could not believe it.  Those digits are less than eight of an inch tall. If 3s, 6s, 8s, and 9s were adjacent in the string of digits, I had trouble with them, but if they were adjacent to other digits I had no problem seeing them.   

After the second cataract surgery, he insisted he makes me another pair.  I did need reading glasses with those two single focus lenses.  He had them made but I could not see through them.  He sent them back and they probably tried at least 3 or 4 times, maybe half a dozen. I could rearrange the lenses by moving them a quarter-inch horizontally and or vertically from where they were placed in the frames. The manufacturer was located a few miles away.  He sent me to the plant to show them the problem.  They said they could not make lenses to the tight tolerance that I required to center them over my eyes.  The first pair was probably just luck getting them centered within my tight tolerance.  They said nobody else ever had that problem.  I suppose a few who do not like multifocal glasses may have but did not experiment enough to discover their issues.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint