Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) breech seat vs fixed ammo (Read 1306 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: breech seat vs fixed ammo
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Dumb but happy question, why do you sift the powder?  Do you also sift other powders?  Once you sift, what do you do to combine it back together?  Tom  Undecided

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The intent in sifting powder is in that all of the sifted spheres are all now of the same burn rate. In other words another variable that has now been eliminated to achieving the very best in accuracy. BP is one of the prime examples as it too was also sifted in the past. But I should also mention that it is not as simple as one might think. It is actually a tremendous amount of long and tedious work. It took me well over two eight hour days in a row to only sift 32lbs. of 300MP.

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2021 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
So you have 4 sieve sizes.  Do you work up a load for each size?  Do you throw any off in the canyon if it passes the smallest sieve?  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Tom three screens and a bottom pan. The bottom pan will have mostly just dust and small fines and not usable. So you would end up with three grades of powder. When I sifted the 300MP I ended up just the two. The larger screen did not collect enough to even keep and the bottom pan the same. From each 8lb Jug I ended with about a 1/4 cup from the top screen and a couple of tablespoons in the bottom pan and not to be used. I ended up with just about equal amounts on the next two screens. Load for each grade the 45 and 50 screens remained the same I just shot them as being different lots of powder. Charlie Dell had a real nice article on sifting powder in a past ASSRA Journal and his results and also Jim Borton's is what got me started doing the same.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:20am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Thanks John.  Now I know the rest of the story!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
One of the big pluses to AA4100 / Enforcer is that all of the spheres already appear to be of the same size and none siftable per-say. I may be wrong but I believe Jerry Hartwig has tried to sift it in the past and why I bring it up. Unfortunately it is one of those powders that has not worked well for me in my large capacity cases. But it has proven to be an outstanding powder in all of the smaller capacity cases in this area to date. In regards to the sifted 300MP it was indeed an improvement but also a tremendous and tedious amount of work. You can only do a small amount at a time and then you have to shake the stack back and forth vigorously. And then the screens have to be gently cleaned to re-clear the holes before you can add some more powder to continue doing the same again as some of the spheres will collect in the holes. Some I know have placed their stack of screens on the top of a vibratory cartridge case cleaner and that would be a big plus and I unfortunately did not have one to use. In Charlie Dells article his group sizes decreased dramatically and he also had a machine rest and a covered 100 yard test range to take both the human and outside elements out of his test results. It would also be a good article to re-print in an upcoming ASSRA Journal some day for those who do have an interest in possibly trying the same. Charlie was sifting AA-7 and Jim Borton H-108 and when Charlie shared it with Accurate Powders they then added their own disclaimer about using it as one would expect them to have to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint