Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard - replace sear spring (Read 793 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard - replace sear spring
Oct 14th, 2021 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
HELP
The sear spring broke on my Ballard No.6. I have a replacement spring but have not been able to remove the remains of the old spring. You can see in the photo (detail enlargement) where the spring broke. Anyone have idea(s) on how to remove that old piece of the sear spring?
The dashed red line shows approximate profile of old spring.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Oldtimer

Re: Ballard - replace sear spring
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Mine broke I was able to pry it out easily. but I've yet to make a new one that doesn't fail after a 100 shots.

I'd love to know where you got a replacement Spring

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
RSW, needle nose vice grips and a small hammer?

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
CBAshooter,

I replaced the broken one in mine hundreds of rounds ago with a piece of bandsaw blade for a Harbor freight bandsaw.  Just cut it with a Dremel cut-off wheen and bent it with pliers. That blade is the right thickness and just needs to be cut down to the right width and length.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
"Believe in yourself, even when no one else will."  -Sasquatch

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Might it be a good idea to slightly break that sharp front edge of the slot when replacing the spring?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Everyone
Thank you for your suggestions on removing that broken piece of sear spring. Perhaps if I can get something pointed under the spring, at the break, I can pry it out. Seems all of my tools are too large or in the case of a dentist's needle-like tool, it's too delicate.

Joe
Thanks for the idea about a needle nose pliers. Only problem is that hole behind the spring slot is very much smaller than it appears in the photo. If I grind down a needle nose to fit in the hole, it's not likely to have strength to grab the spring.

oneatatime
If I were going to shoot that rifle for another 100 years I would definitely break that edge. On the other hand, that appears to be the original spring so it took over 130 to break.

Cbashooter
A replacement sear spring was given to me my an old friend. Unfortunately, he doesn't make them for sale.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Randy,
stop by your local Ace Hardware and buy a $5 hook/scribe.  It will have either a small enough point that you can under the broken edge with some effort, or you can work it in the hole and push the spring out so you can grab the edge with a needle nose.
Greg

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2021 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Hi Randy.

You might also look on the internet for a pair of needle-nosed jewelers tweezers.  I have several pair and find them very handy for tasks like yours.  Also dental picks are stronger than they look.  Finally, if magnification shows any burs over the cut, those can be stoned away.

In any case, a drop or two of Kroil (or whatever your favorite "loosener" is) would likely help eradicate whatever dried oil or the like has accumulated in that slot.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Make a small chisel the width of the thickness of the spring and drive it under the front edge of the spring until you can pry it out or get ahold of it with a pair of pliers. 
Lee Gibbs

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2021 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I modified a old pair of vise grip needle nose pliers by grinding the nose to a sharp point so it fit into the hole where the back end of the spring sits. Soaked the hole with Kroil overnight, and then clamped the vise grips on the bent over end and wiggled it until it came out. 
Usually the broken end comes out with a set of picks I have. I use dental picks also, but as you mentioned they're tiny and easy to bend. I have another set of various shaped picks with plastic handles I got at Harbor Freight, and they're easier to use, and a bit sturdier than dental picks too.

Wishing I was ignored by JLouis!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint