Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Removing staff from vernier sight (Read 1447 times)
jbinnh
Junior Forum Member

Removing staff from vernier sight
Nov 21st, 2021 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I have a Pedersoli Sharps with a Pedersoli long range soule sight. You cannot put a ramrod down the barrel as the sight is in the way (I wipe with a delrin rod which does have enough flex). Thought I would remove the staff by taking out the screw and knurled nut, and that would do the job, but I could not get the staff back on the base without removing the staff adjusting spring and to get that back in alignment is a task in itself. 
How do you fellows approach this? I know I can turn the gun upside down and clean from the muzzle but there are times I would prefer to transport without the sight on the gun. 
Sort of the same question for my MVA vernier. I bought an extra base so I could swap the staff between guns. When I do this I am always afraid that I will bend something when trying to mount it. The lady I spoke to at MVA said to just push down on it so thats what I do. Are there any tricks or methods I am unaware of? 
I did try to find this topic in the search function but without success. 
john
Thank you for any information.

IP Logged

Ray_Newman

Re: Removing staff from vernier sight
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
You could install a Goodwin sight. Depending upon how much you "wanna" spend:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
On any vernier tang sight it helps if the staff is in the upright notch, as that unloads the detent spring slightly. Then you can push down on the staff while maintaining the position, and the screw will come out.
Going back is the opposite. Put the staff in and locate the dent notch, and then push down as you insert the screw.

Wishing I was ignored by JLouis!

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2021 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I take my MVA sight off every time and use it on a couple of rifles.  I follow the recommendation to have it vertical and push straight down to ease removal and installation. My Hellman sight requires that I loosen the upper screw to relieve the tension or I canít even turn the screw which has a much smaller head than the MVA

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
"Believe in yourself, even when no one else will."† -Sasquatch

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Not quite sure what you mean about the Delrin rod. I do all bore cleaning with Delrin rods. Bend around the staff easy, if they wonít bend enough use a smaller Diamater rod. Smaller than bore diameter bronze brush run on a flexible rod wrapped in a oiled patch cleans as good as necessary for me.

Am very fussy about the staff absolutely perpendicular to the front sight, if itís off just a bit rear arpeture appears fuzzy. I can remove and replace staffs by pushing against the spring but it takes some fiddling to get it right. Easier to not remove it.

Boats

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:26am
Print Post  
My old arthritic hands are not steady enough to compress the spring and turn the knurled-screw at the same time.† 

Small piece on wood or plastic on top of the spring near the pivot point, compress the spring and voilŗ!

4.5 in. Micro Trigger Clamp Set (4-Piece) $10

You young people and your expensive ideas... at least it didn't involve a smart phone.  Cry
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:31am by CajunRebel »  

IP Logged

jbinnh
Junior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies. I will approach it with renewed energy today. 
Ray, I guess I don't want to buy another sight at this time but that is always a fallback. 
Marlinguy, I understand what you are saying. On this particular unit the fit of the staff into the base is so tight it is difficult to move it around and get to the position required. Thought about stoning the inside of the base where the staff fits but will leave that alone for now. Dont want a sloppy fit there either. 
Jack, thats what MVA said as well as Marlinguy. I think thats the way its supposed to work. 
Boats, I like to clean with a heavier rod that has a chamber protector (drilled out cartridge) on the end. My delrin rod has a milled jag on the end so I don't have the option of using diff jags or brushes etc. 
For general information,the Pedersoli sight I have, a 406 long range I believe, has notches on the base and spring so perfect adjustment is just not possible. In order to engage a notch, I am either a tiny bit forward or rearward of true perpendicular. Not so much that it effects viewing thru the eyepiece though. 
Cajun Rebel, Thanks. I still have some strength in my hands but will surely note the idea of using clamps. 
What a great forum. Thank you all.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I don't use a guide or any chamber insert with my delrin rod, so it easily gets past my tang sights. Mine had a brass end on both ends, so I keep a nylon bristle brush on one end, and a cotton swab on the other. Depending on what gun, or powder I'm using it can be just reversed for what I need. If I'm wiping after each shot with BP I take the nylon brush off and install a jag that I push my bore wipers through with. Then turn it around and follow with a dry patch over the cotton swab to remove any residual moisture from my bore wipers.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Can you slide the rod between the rails of the sight ladder? That's what I do, and it saves a lot of time. I found a plastic thing at a hardware store that protects the rod and the sight. Can post of photo if you would like. Joe S

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
A friend of mine told me he was having the same problem,  when I looked at it the base was on backwards having the staff higher up the tang, took it off turned the base around ,reattached the staff,voila ,fixed.

IP Logged

jbinnh
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, I like that idea and think I will pursue it. 
Thanks, 
John

IP Logged

jbinnh
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Joe, There is just not enough room to clean going thru the staff. 
Hiwall, I will be looking again in the morning to see if that has anything to do with my situation. 
Thanks for all the ideas.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2021 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hi John,,
I assume what you mean is that the opening between the vertical rails of the staff is too narrow for the cleaning rod. If that is the case, getting a different cleaning rod might be an inexpensive solution. I always use a Tipton for the highwall but a Dewey would work just as well. 
Just an idea.

Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 6:14am
Print Post  
I have made Delrin rods from. 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, & could easily make larger, covers everything except .22   3/8 & up drilled and tapped for jags. 

Delrin takes threads well, no doubt lot of removing and replacing would wear the thread out. If so cut the threaded end off re-D &T . One I use for 38/55 Has a worn out 38/357 wire brush one end turned into the blank jag groves other end. Oiled patch wraps tight around the brush & gives the right patch fit.

Used to make fancy wood handles lately use 1 inch Delrin knurled & locked to the blank with a dowel pin. Quick and easy.

You could make a business out of cleaning rods except the shipping cost would be very high. Material is inexpensive 10 foot blank makes 3 rods.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
jbinnh wrote on Nov 22nd, 2021 at 8:55pm:
Marlinguy, I like that idea and think I will pursue it. 
Thanks, 
John

If shooting smokeless I don't clean until I'm done for the day and leave the range. But with BP I wipe after each shot, and if I couldn't do that without removing the sight, I couldn't shoot at all. It would be far too convoluted, and slow, so I'd be out of any match I tried to shoot in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint