Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Making a Cherry (Read 1494 times)
Capt45

Making a Cherry
Dec 25th, 2021 at 8:44am
Print Post  
So I bought a stick of Oil Hardened Drill Rod and have finished making the Cherry for a bullet(slug) mold I hope to make next week. 
Now, does the Cherry need to be "processed" further such as heat treating, ect before use?

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Re: Making a Cherry
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Yes, it needs to be heat treated. You can do it with an oxy-acetelene torch. Heat to cherry red, quench in oil straight down, not sideways. Clean and polish then temper to light straw color and it should be good to go.

IP Logged

GunBum
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 9:47am
Print Post  
You can skip the tempering step if you are very careful and have a nice rigid setup.  I usually skip tempering on custom reamers that I only plan on using once.  Just be warned, if you drop that untempered cherry, itíll probably shatter.

When I do temper, I do it in a old toaster oven and let cool slowly.  Looking for transitional colors when heating with a flame isnít my thing.

IP Logged

Capt45

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
What temp do you get the toaster oven up to, and for how long?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Yes heat treating would also needed. Flutes should be no more than a .100 thousandths in width and also be back beveled from the cutting edge. I use air hardening drill rod it has less if a tendency to warp during the heat treating process and only something to keep in mind. Once the cherry has been fully heat treated I then go back and stone all of the cutting edges. I also allow for the alloy shrinkage rate to the dimension of the cherry itself. But these cherries are also made to see allot of use and they will also cut a multitude of bullet cavities. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

GunBum
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Capt45 wrote on Dec 25th, 2021 at 12:21pm:
What temp do you get the toaster oven up to, and for how long?

Depends on the steel.  I usually use O-1 which will temper between 350-500F (177-260C for people in countries that havenít put a man on the moon).  I usually just heat up to 500 for 30 minutes and turn it off.  Itíll be close enough for my uses.

IP Logged

Capt45

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2021 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I appreciate all the information.† Now go have Christmas with your family(s).
Merry Christmas

From the fire to the finish.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2021 at 4:48pm by Capt45 »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2021 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Nice and how did your dimensions and fit work out for yourself. 
I wasn't sure what type of cherry you were actually going to make for yourself.
Or I would not have included any of my own input of which was not actually needed in your own case.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2021 at 2:22am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 9:44pm:
Nice and how did your dimensions and fit work out for yourself. 
I wasn't sure what type of cherry you were actually going to make for yourself.
Or I would not have included any of my own input of which was not actually needed in your own case.

The OP might not have needed it but I really appreciated it.  I might even give it a go at some point.

Thanks,

-Ron

IP Logged

Capt45

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
actually I made the dimensions less than what I was going for initially by .004 to allow for PC.  Also, this isn't really a Cherry for a bullet mold; more like a slug.  I have plenty of Drill Rod, a Lathe and Mill and lots of time.
Going to also make a mold for my .22 Pellet Rifle, also as a slug.
Fun Stuff, thanks all for the information and encouragement.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 10:44am
Print Post  
From an article by Bill C. about making reamers and how he was taught.
Set up consisted of putting the blank in a Drill Press, can of quenching medium below, heat to temp then start it spinning before quenching.† Makes sense to me.† A note, because I could never figure out Cherry Red when a steel is at the right temperature it becomes Non Magnetic. David

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 11:33am
Print Post  
If wanting to start making bullet moulds to where the cherries will be used quite allot. It is really best to just send them out for heat treatment. The cost to do one is the same as it would be for a dozen or more. I do have a heat treat furnace but I do not yet have it hooked to the proper gas yet. And all though being wrapped tightly in stainless foil heat treat foil. I still run into having to much carbon contamination. If doing but one I will use a map gas torch but getting it to where it needs to be fully soaked temperature wise. It can be a bit challenging and I will also make a little house out of bricks to try and keep the entire cherry evenly and fully soaked at the correct temperature. Before you put all of the time and effort in a cherrie I would first practice on getting the heat treat process right first. I have lost a few in the past by not getting it right and all of the that work was all for not. I use air hardening drill rod, the water and oil hardening does have a tendency to warp. Also add enough to the dimensions to allow for alloy shrinkage. Not sure if this might be helpful or not actually depends on what type of cherrie you might be making. Such as a simple D type cutter or one with four or six flutes. Also don't forget to draw it back to the correct temperature for its intended use after it has been fully hardened. All of this can be easily found on the internet or better yet there are some real good YouTube videos by professional heat treaters directly related to what you are wanting to do at home.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 11:33am:
If wanting to start making bullet moulds to where the cherries will be used quite allot. It is really best to just send them out for heat treatment. The cost to do one is the same as it would be for a dozen or more. I do have a heat treat furnace but I do not yet have it hooked to the proper gas yet. And all though being wrapped tightly in stainless foil heat treat foil. I still run into having to much carbon contamination. If doing but one I will use a map gas torch but getting it to where it needs to be fully soaked temperature wise. It can be a bit challenging and I will also make a little house out of bricks to try and keep the entire cherry evenly and fully soaked at the correct temperature. Before you put all of the time and effort in a cherrie I would first practice on getting the heat treat process right first. I have lost a few in the past by not getting it right and all of the that work was all for not. I use air hardening drill rod, the water and oil hardening does have a tendency to warp. Also add enough to the dimensions to allow for alloy shrinkage. Not sure if this might be helpful or not actually depends on what type of cherrie you might be making. Such as a simple D type cutter or one with four or six flutes. Also don't forget to draw it back to the correct temperature for its intended use after it has been fully hardened. All of this can be easily found on the internet or better yet there are some real good YouTube videos by professional heat treaters directly related to what you are wanting to do at home.

agree.  having been a tooling engineer in a former life we would have dies made (8" diameter) and we had our machine shop send them to a master at the trade.  (that's a hint: to find someone GOOD at it go to the shop that the local machine shops use)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Could not agree more and it really is not that all expensive. We had a place over the Hill in Hayward Ca. that was extremely fair on this type pricing. It was only about an hour or so away before all of this current commuter traffic starting taking place. Also not to far from RotoMetals.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I apologize if I made this seem to be abit overly difficult. Actually making one's own bullet cherrie is actually very easy for one to make. Before I got a Mill I did it all on a lathe with just a Milling attachment. This also holds very true for also making the mould blocks themselves. Anyone who has the want to make one for themselves. I would highly encourage you to just do it. And if you might feel I can somehow be of any help please feel free to just send me a PM and I would be more than willing to help you out the very best that I can. 
I might also add that I also used to cut the mould cavities on the Lathe if you too happen to have one along with a milling attachment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint