Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seating Wads (Read 1733 times)
rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Re: Breech Seating Wads
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Jan 14th, 2022 at 3:30pm:
westerner wrote on Jan 13th, 2022 at 5:41am:
Have shot 40 gr FFF under a 350 gr bullet in my Pacific 45-70. No problems. Good OH practice load. 

Internet mantra. Yep. It must be true, I seen it on the web.

But I Googled then somebody said you can't do it..... But I never tried it but I tell everybody you can't do it and the guy i told you can't do it tells  everybody you can't do it. And it goes on and on....

A friend of mine experimented with that and a lead crusher tester he made to measure the pressures . He said he saw no problems with there being a space face between the black powder and the bullets.

He even tried to blow up a muzzle loader barrel by intentionally not seating the ball over the powder to the point of it was inches away from the powder. he called bullshit in the stuff 30 years ago

I have a long-range ML rifle with a slight ring in the barrel a little distance above where the bullet seats.   Very slight, but interferes with getting uniform velocities.   Supposition is that it resulted from a mis-fire moving the bullet ahead of the charge a little, and the ring occurred on subsequent re-capping and firing.   

It's no mystery ... the existence of this phenomenon was verified 150 years or so ago.  I once tried to interest a talented theoretician in the mathematics of  deceleration of such a gas column, with the intention of doing experiments in copper tubing.  It is complicated by the gas velocity being a function of distance from the breech, and its undergoing of an adiabatic compression.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Re: Breech Seating Wads
Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I have had a chamber rung with my .45-3-1/4 Sharps. This was caused by a hang fire. I think I loaded the case with still a little water in the case that did not dry out. The primer must have pushed the bullet ahead before the primer flash cut through the damp powder and lit the dry. 
The second rifle was a Hawken. I put a walnut in that barrel shooting a match and short seated a ball in a fouled barrel getting in a hurry to get the last shot off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint